Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    elisacm81 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 7, 2011, 09:44 AM
    Issuing a 3-Day Quit Notice after Issuing a 60-Day Notice
    We issued our California tenants a 60-Day Notice. If, in that 60 day period they fail to pay their rent per their rental agreement, or create a substantial nuisance, can we issue a 3-Day Notice to Quit? Or would it have to be a 3-Day Notice to PAY or Quit? Basically, we want these tenants to move out.

Thank you.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Sep 7, 2011, 09:48 AM
    File eviction papers...

Giving them 3 day pay or quit gives them 3 days to stop what you want. If they pay up you can't evict them then if they have a lease.

30 day notice is all that's needed to evict most places.

What exactly did you give them 60 days ago? And how... it matters. Proper eviction notice... or simply telling them to leave? Were they served by a process server?

Your next step migh be court.. to have them removed. Sometimes paying them to leave might get faster results.
    elisacm81 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 7, 2011, 10:18 AM
    Yesterday I personally served them with a 60-Day eviction notice (since they have been renting for over a year). Under CA law, this is an "unconditional" notice in that I don't need to give them a reason for the eviction, nor can they avoid the eviction through remedy on their part. They are just being evicted, period, and have 60 days to leave.

However, given these tenants' track record, I am concerned that in this 60-days that they will (1) not pay their rent, and/or (2) that they will cause some nuisance problems, both of which I understand are grounds for a 3-Day Notice to Pay or Quit in California.

My question is, if (1) and/or (2) occur within the 60-day time, can I legally issue them a 3-Day Quit notice, given that I've already issued them the 60-day notice?

Again,this is in California.

Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a Landlord give me a 3-Day notice plus a 30 Day notice to quit all at once? [ 7 Answers ]

Hello I need to please know what is the legal procedure to an eviction notice? My fiancé and I and my 3 children use to live in Buena Park in Orange County and we still currently work in Orange County and comute Mon-Fri about 1hr and 15mins each way. When we heard from a far away causing...

My landlord gave me a 3 Day Notice To Quit after I had given him a notice to move by [ 17 Answers ]

My landlord gave me a 3 Day Notice to Pay or Quite after I had given him a notice to Vacate by 3/1/10. In the notice I included that my double deposit was to be used for rent. I feel this is very retaliatory as the deposit covers 2 months of rent, which I will be out before the full two months,...

Give a 30 day notice then 4 days later served with a 3 day vacate notice [ 6 Answers ]

I was served with a 30 day notice for a termination of Lease on June 9th. By my landlord for late payments. Then on June 15th I was served with a notice to pay or vacate with in 3 days by my landlord. Can he do this? I am not even a month late on this months rent.

30 Day Notice to move and A 3 Day pay Or Quit [ 14 Answers ]

I submitted a 30 day notice to move on 4-17-2009 to vacate on 5-17-2009. On 5-4-2009 my landlord put a 3 day notice to pay or quit on my door. Is this even legal? And are late fees legal to charge in California?

Received a 60 day notice to vacate - do I need to give a 30 day notice? [ 8 Answers ]

Hello! The rental property is in cupertino, California. I received a 60 day notice to vacate as the new owner wants to remodel the property. As I have a house that I had bought and was also renting this unit I would like to vacate within 15 days and move all my stuff? Question - Am I...

View more questions Search