Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rusty rat Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2007, 05:38 PM
    William D. Ford direct student loan
    Does the William D Ford direct student loan have the balance forgiven when the borrower reaches a certain age ?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 2, 2007, 06:40 PM
    These appear to be the repayment plans, normally 10 years repayment with set interest rates, if you are at a lower income, you can be approved for payment over 25 years. But I saw nothing about the balance of loan being forgiven at any point.

Repayment
    Servicer:
    The U.S. Department of Education is the servicer of Direct Loans.

Options:

Standard Repayment Plan
    - Fixed monthly payments (generally $50 minimum)
    - Maximum 10 year repayment length
    Extended Repayment Plan
    - Fixed annual repayment over period longer than 10 years
    Graduated Repayment Plan
    - Payment amounts vary at graduated levels adjusted every two years
    Income Contingent Repayment Plan (ICRP)
    The monthly repayment amount is based on a percentage of the borrower's Adjusted Gross Income (and that of spouse if joint tax return is filed). A "payback rate" is assessed according to the total amount of the borrower's outstanding Federal Direct Student Loan debt at the time of repayment. Generally, the repayment period will not exceed 25 years.
    rusty rat Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2007, 09:10 AM
    Thanks Fr_Chuck for the repayment info. I just remember reading something in the WDFord pamphlet about the loan being forgiven, but the balance treated as taxable income. The taxable income would be calculated on the tax rate at the time of retirement. I'll look around my file cabimet for the pamhlet/booklet for the WDFord. I'll get back to you soon. Thanks again. Jim <' )>>><

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Student Loan Interest [ 1 Answers ]

I paid student loan interest in 2005 and 2006. Can I claim both years interest on this years tax return?

Student Loan Issues [ 3 Answers ]

I have a very old student loan (1990 and 1993) that is being serviced through Van Ru and the DOE. The fees and interest and penalties are almost as high as the amount loaned. They got a judgment and have garnished my wages for the last 3 years. I now want to purchase a home but have this...

Student loan deduction [ 6 Answers ]

Hi For the year 2005 I was on F1 status. I wanted to deduct my student loan payments. I paid a total interest of $1425 in year 2005. I tried filling the worksheet provided with form 1040 nr ez instructions. According to their calcluations Ican only deduct $ 133 out of 1425 I paid as interest. ...

View more questions Search