Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jhd186 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 6, 2011, 02:21 PM
    Honeywell RTH2300 2 white 2 red wires
    I removed old thermostat and found 2 wires connected (red and white) and 2 wires not connected red and white with electrical tape on them.

I would like to install this new thermostat so I can just kick on the air and not anything else. I do not have A/C just forced hot air.

Thanks
    John
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Sep 6, 2011, 03:27 PM
    Hi John. You should be able to do this no problem. You just need to look inside the furnace and see what two wires are hooked to the control board (should be a red to r and a white to w). Now, hopefully the other two wires are in the furnace with tape on them too. Or they may be hooked to y, c, or g. Either way, all you will need to do is make sure one of them is hooked to g, and then hook that same wire up to g on the thermostat. If your stat has a c terminal, I would suggest hooking the other unused wire to c on the furnace control board, and c on the stat. Should be all set this way. Just make sure the two wires that were hooked to r and w on the old stat, get hooked up to the r/rc and w on the new stat.
    jhd186 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 7, 2011, 01:54 PM
    Mygirlsdad77.

Great thanks it worked! Just one thing... I only saw a red and white wire on furnace. I could not find the other set.

I also can't turn on just the fan. I remember a condo I had where I could just turn on the fan. I had A/C on that unit though. Any ideas?

Thanks for your help
    John
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Sep 7, 2011, 03:18 PM
    You will need a third wire for the fan to work by itself. You will have to locate the other end of the other wires, or pull an extra wire(if you pull new wire, I would suggest just pulling a whole new five wire cable.) The g is for the fan on option. So you would need another wire to hook to g on the stat, and g in the furnace. Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Honeywell RTH221B help, Red Yellow White Yellow Green Blue wires? [ 2 Answers ]

Hey I got a new thermostat for the house but went to replace the old one and I have a Yellow, Green, Red, White, and Blue wires but the thermostat has the Y, G, Rh, Rc, and W. An electrician friend hooked it up for me and did the following: Y - Yellow G - Green Rh - Red with a jumper to Rc W -...

Can I connect a honeywell rth2300 thermostat with only 2 wires coming out of the wall [ 3 Answers ]

I am trying to install a honeywell rth2300 programmable thermostat, but there are only 2 wires coming out of the wall and attaching to the old school thermostat. Will I be able to install this thermostat or do I need a different model? I am connecting only to a furnace, no ac. Thanks Po

How to connect red and white wires to a thermostat with G, why, W, RH and RC wires? [ 0 Answers ]

I'm trying to change a Honeywell RTH 6400, to a LUX TX 500

Connect Red wires of Honeywell zone valve [ 0 Answers ]

My plumber installed the whole boiler system last year with 3 zones, but left 2 of zone valve's red wires disconneted (hanging from ceiling in boiler room)because 2/3 of the house was still under construction. All pipes, gas hookup done and the 1/3 part of the house using only zone 1 was working...

Two wires one red one white trying to hook up a honeywell CT31 [ 4 Answers ]

I just bought a new thermostat cause the one I had was an old mercury one. I bought a Honeywell CT31. I look at the insructions it tells me to look at the setting markers on the old thermostat, but there are none. It also says do not pay attention to the colors of the wires. I did not know what...

View more questions Search