Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ellijay Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 6, 2011, 10:45 AM
    '89 Honda Accord started running rough and lost power suddenly.
    We have an '89 Honda Accord Lxi, 4cyl. With about 177,000+ miles on it. Last weekend it started running rough suddenly and lacking power. When I drive to work or home about 27 miles one way the car will lurch and the check engine light will come on. Then the car runs relatively well. Once you shut it off the check engine light resets but the engine runs roughly again.
    We had the car tuned up about two years ago. The only major problem it has other than the running rough and lack of power. Is a leaking power steering hose up top.
    Being it is so old and fuel quality can be unreliable where we live, I have been using Lucas Upper Cylinder Lubricant with great success, till now. And in case there was water in the fuel I added a can of SeaFoam yesterday before I left work.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Sep 6, 2011, 11:16 AM
    Likely a distributor problem. Try replacing the igniter and coil. If the problem persists, install the new igniter and coil in a genuine Honda distributor housing--all others are suspect.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I have a honda hrb215. Running rough [ 3 Answers ]

Once it starts,in choke mode, I move to fast and it runs rough then stalls. I have drained the tank. I changed air filter and spark plug. Adjusting the idol does nothing. Is there a fuel filter that I should change? Need help. Thank you

2005 6.0 lost power and I had to tow it, next day it started and I drove it? [ 1 Answers ]

This happened twice after driving it 10 miles. I replaced the fuel filters and it had a recent oil change.This truck has been maintained and has only 69k miles.

91 honda civic dx suddenly dies while running. Have to hold key on to keep running [ 1 Answers ]

91 honda civic dx suddenly dies while running. I have to hold the key on far right start position to keep the car started. I let off the key and the car dies. Turn the key to the where the starter turns on and hold it there and the car stays running./ Any ideas what this could be?

92 Honda Accord engine suddenly shuts off [ 5 Answers ]

While cruising at 55mph down a slight incline on a highway at 10pm, suddenly I realized the engine had shut down. The lights seemed to slightly dim, I was able to pull off to the shoulder of the road, turned off the key, then turned the key and car immediately started. About 5 weeks later the...

1992 Honda Accord lost of power [ 1 Answers ]

1992 Honda Accord EX, when I am driving the car seems to lose power and the car slows down, when I ease off the gas and then accelerate it seems to pickup. I have changed the fuel filter,transmission,fuel pump and the gas cap. It seemed to get better but now it is back to doing the same thing....

View more questions Search