Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Brenda2206 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 6, 2011, 08:11 AM
    2000 Jeep Cherokee suddenly will not start?
    We have not had any problems with the Jeep not starting until today.
    Go out at 5 am to start so my husband can leave for work but will not start.
    It ran and started fine yesterday. It does turn over and it is getting fuel.
    What can it be that I can fix myself?
    My son seams to think it could be that the steering wheel is not lock he think his dad broke the lock mechanism.
    I think it's something Electrical any ideas anyone. Brenda. I have no experience working on our Jeep I just don't know a sensor or something is my best guess.
    Thank you for any ideas or if you know thank you for your help in advance of any answers anyone may have would help.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Sep 6, 2011, 09:44 AM
    . Remove and fully charge the battery. Most auto parts stores will do this for free.

. Check all under hood and under dash fuses with a test light or multimeter.

. Check for spark. If none, focus on the coil, Crankshaft Position Sensor, and Camshaft Position Sensor.

. Ensure you can hear the fuel pump run, when the ignition switch is turned to ON.

. Check for codes.

. Ensure you are only using the same spark plugs (Champion only) that originally came in the vehicle. Replace the platinum plugs, if you have more than 50,000 miles on them.
    Brenda2206 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 6, 2011, 09:51 AM
    We do not have any codes showing. It ran fine yesterday and went out to start this moring it turns over like it is going to start just does not start.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Sep 6, 2011, 09:55 AM
    Follow the rest of the suggestions. Sometimes, the Crankshaft Position Sensor or the Camshaft Position Sensor can be failing and not throw a code. Eliminate as many items as you can, prior to taking it to someone. Also, check the ignition switch for wear, pitting, or melting--remove the negative battery cable first. Do this only after you have done everything else.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2000 jeep grand cherokee won't start [ 4 Answers ]

I have 2000 jeep grand cherokee 6 cylinder that will turn over but will not start. I do not see a distributer, a plug wire, or spark plug, Please help me.

How to reset anti theft on 2000 jeep grand cherokee [ 1 Answers ]

How do you reset the anti theft on a 2000 jeep grang cherokee

Can anyone help troubleshoot a Mopar 10 disk CD changer in a 2000 Jeep cherokee? [ 0 Answers ]

I bought a 2000 jeep grand cherokee today, unit has the Nfinity stereo system with the 10 disc Cd changer in the back. I can load CDs and when I place the cartridge in the changer it appears the discks are loading but when I press the CD button on the radio nothing happens. Any ideas? Radio issue?

I only have reverse in my 2000 jeep grand cherokee. [ 3 Answers ]

Does the transmission cumputer control this or does it only control when it shifts.

2000 jeep grand cherokee lardeo keeps stalling [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I have a 2000 jeep grand cherokee laredo and it keeps stalling on me. It will stall while I'm driving.and sometimes when its stopped... alot of times it don't give you any clue that it is going to stall (it was great when I was doing 70 on the high way in the high speed lane with someone tail...

View more questions Search