Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    akusa Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 5, 2011, 08:49 PM
    What can replace Bleach for a whitener when using a Septic system?
    I have a Septic system and have been told not to use a Bleach. So what kind of a whitener can be safely used in a Septic System?
    lilpoppa Posts: 118, Reputation: 13

Sep 5, 2011, 10:32 PM
    Bleach is actually fine to use with a septic system, as long as you don't over use it. If you do 1 to 2 loads a week with bleach it shouldn't cause any major problem with your septic system, provided your septic is in good shape. The problem with bleach in a septic system is that it kills the helpful bacteria that break down the waste. Only doing a couple loads a week with bleach won't kill enough bacteria in your system to cause a problem, I've been doing it for years with no ill effects.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 6, 2011, 07:54 AM
    I agree with lilpoppa, bleach used for normal laundry is fine. There are, however, alternatives to bleach if you care to try them. Natural Bleach Alternatives | Passionate Homemaking

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bleach and Septic Tank? [ 13 Answers ]

Our vacation home has a septic tank and I have never lived with one of these. I would like to use bleach for cleaning in bathroom and kitchen. But will it ruin function of septic tank? Is there some amount of bleach I can use? This is in New Zealand. There is no city water, we collect rainwater...

1 gallon of bleach added to septic system [ 6 Answers ]

Hi There, we have just built a house and new septic system. After about 5 months of use, a gallon of bleach was dumped down the drain and into the septic system. The septic tank capacity is 6,750 litres and the leaching bed is 16 metres by 7.5 metres. Has this done damage to the system that...

How to replace the vent in a septic line [ 1 Answers ]

To repair the vent in a septic line, the vent was broken in a snow storm last winter now the ordor in bad

How much Bleach to use to clean potable water system on a boat [ 1 Answers ]

Trying to remove a Sulfur (Sulphur) smell form our potable water system on a boat. I have been told to use bleach but people are vague as to the mixing ratio. Any thoughts?

Dr. Fred Palmer Skin Whitener Tone and Bleach Cream [ 6 Answers ]

Does anybody know if Dr. Fred Palmer Skin Whitener Tone and Bleach Cream works or if it's a crap.

View more questions Search