Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Sep 5, 2011, 04:28 PM
    Air drop on 9/11?
    On 9/11/01 I watched the events unfold live on The Today show, and thought an air drop of water like for forest fires could help?
    What would a response time be for an Emergency Air Drop in that area, who would be most capable to first respond with an air drop? was there time, was liability for water damage a factor.
    Just curious. As I watched, I kept thinking why not water?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Sep 5, 2011, 04:58 PM
    The problem with dropping water like what you suggest is that your adding a lot of weight in short bursts. Another thing is that unless it turned to steam right away then the only real place it can drain would have been the staircases. People were using those to evacuate. To use the powder kind to suppress the fire would also take the oxygen out of the air so any one left behind would have suffocated. It's a tough call any way you look at it.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 5, 2011, 05:09 PM
    And of course unless the roof fell, most would just run off, as it entered building, little would get to each floor. And it often spreads water over larger area then I suspect the building area.
    Uber Member

Sep 5, 2011, 05:11 PM
    I just always wondered?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 5, 2011, 05:14 PM
    Aircraft capable of dropping water are generally located near heavily forested areas. I think the nearest area to qualify would be the Adirondacks. And three would not have been time to deploy.

Also such aircraft are usually not designed to drop water as pin point as necessary. The towers did not have a large footprint. Area wise they were quite small.

Finally, the towers were equipped with fire suppression systems that just didn't have a chance.
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Sep 5, 2011, 05:18 PM
    I also have to wonder about the possibility of adding water to a jet fuel fire. I would assume there would be a chance it would spread like if you throw water on a gas fire.
    Uber Member

Sep 5, 2011, 05:22 PM
    A human friendly fire retardant?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Sep 5, 2011, 06:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratmando View Post
    A human friendly fire retardant?
    That would be gel. But on that scale you wouldn't be able to find enough of it.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Sep 6, 2011, 08:36 AM
    I've never heard of anyone attempting an air drop of water onto a structural fire. Putting aside the issue of its effectiveness (as califdadof3 and Fr_Chuck pointed out), dropping tons of water in an area with thousands of people would most likely cause significant bodily harm - and possibly death - to many people. This doesn't seem like an approach that would be advisable in an urban environment.
    Uber Member

Sep 6, 2011, 02:03 PM
    I agree that it could cause significant bodily harm. If it had been used, and the water actually cooled the fire somehow, and the buildings didn't fall, the people killed by the fire suppressing would likely have Family suing them Fire Rescue.

We do know what happens when Nothing is done.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tub drain need to drop 26", btr to drop at 45 or 90? [ 5 Answers ]

Hello All, I'm installing a shower and have been scratching my head on this for a while. I need to run the drain along the wall above to so I can vent it (for a foot or two), then hang a right and head toward the stack about 5' away. Due to the small crawl space and T on the stack, I need...

My cold air return blows cool air instead of sucking air [ 7 Answers ]

My cold air return blows cool air instead of sucking air

Repair for air blowing out faucet for a single drop jet pump system [ 4 Answers ]

Could the problem be a check valve on supply line?

Drop ceiling air diffusers [ 1 Answers ]

I have a drop ceiling and the tiles are 14" X 14". What size air diffuser should I get? Also the supply is a 4" duct.

Air cond is blowin air not cool air after power flipped off in storm? [ 4 Answers ]

I tried breakers and that didn't do anything

View more questions Search