Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Sep 5, 2011, 03:08 PM
    Vista freezing
    I'm running Vista and in the past week my computer will freeze after 10 minutes. Max of usage. I cannot log off, I have to power off. I'm thinking I may need to reformat but am not sure how to go about doing it.

HELP!! Please?? :o
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 5, 2011, 03:46 PM
    Try doing a cleanup first. Open Computer from the Start menu and right click on the drive icon then select Properties. Under General start with a Disk cleanup. Then do a defrag and Error fix (under Tools).

Then run a registry cleaner like CCCleaner. See if that helps.
    Ultra Member

Sep 5, 2011, 04:11 PM
    I tried that Scott but the computer freezes before it completes the defrag.

Sep 5, 2011, 04:18 PM
    Did you do that first or try the other stuff first.
    Ultra Member

Sep 5, 2011, 04:20 PM
    I cleaned up the cache first, then defragged, didn't do the disk cleanup until now.

Sep 5, 2011, 04:28 PM
    Do the cleanup and error fix first.
    Ultra Member

Sep 5, 2011, 04:29 PM
    I can't find the error fix :(

Sep 5, 2011, 04:30 PM
    Its on the same tab (Tools) as Defrag
    drtom4444 Posts: 3,282, Reputation: 145
    Ultra Member

Sep 10, 2011, 06:49 AM
    Do you by any chance have two anti-virus programs on your computer or have you recently installed something new? If not I would upgrade it to Windows 7 by booting from the install disk then going to "Advanced," delete partition (C: drive) then make a new partition and format in case you have a virus. If a virus is the problem this is the only way to get rid of it reliably. There is a virus that does the exact thing you are experiencing. DrTom4444
    Ultra Member

Sep 18, 2011, 08:56 AM
    Thanks! I finally reformatted and so far everything is running smooooth :)

I just have to download the driver for my printer then I think I'm good to go.
    FadedMaster Posts: 1,510, Reputation: 148
    Ultra Member

Sep 18, 2011, 08:14 PM
    If you start having problems again, it is possible that you might be having either memory issues or hard drive issues. There is diagnostic software you can get and run if you begin to experience problems again. Just let us know.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Copy Vista (not working) User folder to another working Vista HD [ 1 Answers ]

Solving: 1) How to Copy Newest User Data (12-12-09) from Newest C Drive whose operating system will no longer boot up and the HD now is in a USB exteral storage unit; 2) Copy into working restored older Acronis backup of 9-10-2009. Best Strategy please:? Other strategies? I have available...

Window vista update (KB968389) is a bad update, how can I update my vista? [ 2 Answers ]

August 11, 2009 window vista update KB968389 is a bad update for my computer. After trying to install it, my configuration only gets to 3 out of 3 and 0% then keeps on restarting over and over. It won't stop restarting unless I turn my computer off. I had to do a restore to my drives to get it...

Refrigerator freezing things and freezer barely freezing items [ 1 Answers ]

We have a Maytag MFF2557HEW, French doors on top and Freezer on bottom. We have freezer set at 7 and refrigerator set at 1. We cannot use veggie drawers because it freezes everything in them. We have to put all veggies and fruits on the shelves. Ice cream remains soft in the freezer, but meats...

Vista gets error message that "vista has timed out" while trying to back-up [ 2 Answers ]

This machine has been doing this for over a month and I can't solve the problem. When I attempt to back-up disk onto external drive I get the meesage that back-up is not complete because Vista has timed-out.

To Vista or not to Vista that is a question... [ 9 Answers ]

Does your machine have what it takes to run Windows Vista. Find out HERE with this excellent online tool. (ActiveX is needed for this test) Now personally I will be running Vista on a test box. Hey I've got to at least try and break it, but there is no way it will be on any of my live machines...

View more questions Search