Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    leroy1723 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2007, 02:52 PM
    Ford explorer 2003 downshifting problem
    Have a problem with the downshifting.when the rpm drop there's a roaring sound. This happen on the highway. When ever it drops from 65 mph to 50 mph.:confused:
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Feb 2, 2007, 03:13 PM
    Automatic transmissions are very problematic these days. The only protection the average motorist can get is provided by good preventive maintenance. Every 30,000 miles, drop and clean the pan, change the filter, and replace the ATF. Changing the fluid in the torque converter is an additional plus. I found downshift problems on my 2000 Taurus, with the 3.0L Duratec engine and AX4N transmission, were cured when I replaced regular Mercon V with Amsoil Universal Synthetic ATF. I did this at 29,000 miles. Mobil 1 Synthetic Multi-Vehicle ATF would be just as good and meets Fords Mercon V specifications.

Feb 2, 2007, 08:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy1723
    have a problem with the downshifting.when the rpm drop there's a roaring sound. this happen on the highway. when ever it drops from 65 mph to 50 mph.:confused:
    I had ford change the filte and relace the atf fluid . It a seal trans , so they are the only ones that can do it . Do u think it could be a val cover problem are a computer problem ? This same problem has happen with other onwer's, They have had this same problem with ford 's downshifting problem too . A lot of them have had a patch install to correct the problem, for some it work and for others it didn't work.
    Uber Member

Feb 2, 2007, 09:14 PM
    Have you taken a scan tool and checked for any ATX codes? Have you checked for any TSBs on this situation?

Feb 4, 2007, 06:50 PM
    No, I don't have a scan tool. I have been waiting three weeks for on. The " mack tool guy has it on back order .

Feb 6, 2007, 04:37 PM
    Hi, Tx. Today I used a scan tool and checked for ATX CODES. The scan show no problems found. Where do I go from here ?
    Uber Member

Feb 6, 2007, 08:57 PM
    Check for any TSBs and try the synthetic ATF I recommended. Other than that, you need to find someone who's very familiar with that transmission, who can advise you what to do.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

98 Ford Explorer ac problem [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 98 Ford explorer with 5.0 V8. Last year I experienced ac problems where it just quit blowing cold. I read forums on the internet about the accumulator being wrapped and rusting (which mine was pretty bad), so I replaced it. After I recharged the system it worked fine for about 3-4 weeks...

93 Ford Explorer,Starter Location [ 1 Answers ]

I need to replace the starter on my 93 Ford Explorer. Can you tell me where the starter is located?

RABS Ford Explorer [ 1 Answers ]

The rear anti-lock brakes light on the dash is on on my 1992, is there a likely problem to cause this? I took the sensor out from the differential to clean it but it did'nt help. What's the first thing to check or replace? Thanks Rudy

Transmission Problem Ford Explorer Sport [ 3 Answers ]

My 97 explorer sport does not shift into overdrive. What is the problem?

A/C on a 98 Ford Explorer [ 2 Answers ]

I recently had a new engine put in my '98 Explorer and now the a/c doesn't work. When I talked to the service manager at Ford I was told that they didn't go near the a/c and that they weren't responsible for fixing it. This is what they told me was wrong with the a/c; I needed a new accumulator,...

View more questions Search