Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Roybelle Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Sep 3, 2011, 07:03 PM
    How much does it cost to bring a Container from china to canada?
    I wonder I much that can cost to bring a 40 feet container from china to canada ( or USA if you know). How much can I expect for customs clearance?

If the container goes to Montreal,Quebec is it better to bring by train or by truck?

With minimal details, a best approximation is as follows:

The cost to bring a 40? Container from Shanghai to USA (LAX port - Los Angeles) can run between $3,500 - 4,500 for ocean charges. Customs clearance fees generally fall around 110-150. You also have to factor in PSS (peak season surcharges), and any extras such as Shanghai port charges, security charges, advanced notification fees, etc.

If you contact a freight forwarder with your shipper and consignee information they can give you a quote. Have them break your quote down so you can see what they are charging for each cost. Then you can compare them to each other and see who is the cheapest or possibly negotiate for better rates.

Some good companies are: Expeditors, Exel, CH Robinson, UPS Supply Chain Solutions.

The price will vary depending on the company. Also price varies depending on volume. If you ship a lot, they will give you discounts and you have more negotiating room.

Containers go to the major ports. They are then trucked to final destination. It is cheaper if done by rail, however it is slower. Trucking can cost a lot more money because oftentimes the chassis have to switched out on the container, you have to find a driver willing to go, the driver has to get an appointment to pick up the container at the pier, etc. If you are in a time crunch, then trucking is quicker, otherwise its generally more cost effective to have containers delivered to the rail yard closest the destination. Then drayed to the consignee's address.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 3, 2011, 07:05 PM
    You appear to have asked and answered your own question. May I ask what is it you would like to know

Sep 3, 2011, 08:24 PM
    How to import from CHINA
    I found a product that I need on a Chinese manufacture web site. I asked for a quotation and the product seemed to be perfect(price, quality). Then I received an e-mail just before paying for a sample order that was telling me the employee I was speaking with was no longer working for the company. I don't understand how china's factory work...
    My questions are?
    How can I make sure a bank transfer is really related to the company I am dealing with?(does it have to be designated to the company's name instead of the name of a citizen?)
    How I can make sure they will really send me what I ordered? (is there a brokerage service that can take care of me or is there a control I can make anyhow?)
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Sep 4, 2011, 01:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    You appear to have asked and answered your own question. May I ask what is it you would like to know
    Yes, I noticed that too... strange.

Tick

Sep 4, 2011, 02:01 AM
    Ah, I just forgot to add one more line: Is that information are correct or not?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Sep 4, 2011, 03:17 AM
    Unless we have import/export agents here, roybelle, it is going to be hard to definitely answer your question. If you want to import this material directly from China, safely, economically, then you had best hire a proper agent for the transaction.

To answer your first question regarding payment; invoice is issued after goods are shipped, you pay by the invoice when you receive it. Hopefully there will be options for payment to them but the best way is a money order.

Tick
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Sep 4, 2011, 05:41 AM
    If your going to deal with china then you have some heavy reading to do and so you can catch yourself up. Here are a few links with some good information including a link the Chineese U.S. trade agreements. Good Luck and happy reading.

Dealing With China Manufacturers

Doing business and dealing with China ? What you need to know! | Silk Road Trade Consultants

01 - How To Deal With Chinese businessmen

China Gateway

Welcome to amhd.

Sep 4, 2011, 06:02 AM
    Thank you so much for your help :-)

Roybelle

Sep 4, 2011, 06:12 AM
    Thank you very muc, Amhd

Sep 6, 2011, 01:24 AM
    How to open an Fashion & Accessories retail store?
    Where is the best place to open an Fashion & Accessories store in Vancouver, CANADA? Where is the most expensive and where is cheapest place but have almost same result about the traffic? Is that a good Idea to open in a mall where people are already have a about buying mood or at the walking streets... etc? Any supply that I can order anything that made in China, India, Nepal, Thailand, etc... from them and waiting until it arrival in CANADA and don't have to import directly everything by myself with big headache? Is there anybody have good experiences or knew any good suppliers partner in Vancouver?

Sep 6, 2011, 03:30 AM
    Wondering...
    I want to open an Fashion and Accessories store but I wondering about how to call my store. The reason is I think the word:''Accessories'' mean everything in shortcut word. I mean I am not sure if I want to sell everything that relating to fashion for men and women, children ( shoes, bags, hats, belts, scafts, jewelry,. etc... But not so many, I'd collect the unique items with good quality to sell as well, something are interior like Art products, handmade as well and well, not so many of fashion) so how do I call my store, is that OK with: '' Accessories'' for all those things? What is the best?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

'My wife and I are in Canada on a work permit, is it legal to bring our children here [ 1 Answers ]

My question is 'My wife and I are in Canada on a work permit, is it legal to bring our children here as well?'

How to calculate landed cost based on 2500 products in a 40ft container. [ 1 Answers ]

I bring in a 40ft container with 2500 pieces of furniture parts but I do not sure how to calculate landed cost per piece. Appreciate for your assist and advice. McMatt

Canada-China tax treaty [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have heard that due to the Canada-China Tax Treaty signed in 1986, Chinese citizens in Canada can benefit from it in terms of income tax. But I have no idea about the details such as how much tax exemption a Chinese can get, how long a Chinese can enjoy such benefit, if at all, and what...

Canada China Tax Treaty [ 1 Answers ]

I'm currently working in Taiwan and I'm a Canadian citizen. I'm filing my taxes and I believe Taiwan to be under the current tax treaty between China and Canada as Taiwan is still a member of the Republic of China, therefore I need to know what percentage of my income is exempt under the tax...

View more questions Search