Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Sep 1, 2011, 10:32 PM
    Lots of symptoms including hair loss on legs.
    Okay, over the past year lost 45 lbs without even trying. Butterfly rash.
    Hair loss before lower legs grew back and now gone again smooth like a babies bum.
    Palpitations, blood pressure fluctuations. Episodes of shortness of breath and problems swallowing. Shaking and weakness, muscle tremors and twitches occasionally.
    Recently went to chiropractor for neck and back pain, only to have nauseous feeling like I am going to vomit. Mri of the neck will be done within three months. Because abnormalities were found on the x-ray.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 1, 2011, 10:39 PM
    While it's commonly known as the "women's disease," have you been checked for Lupus?

I'm also thinking hormonal imbalances. Has your testosterone been checked recently?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 1, 2011, 10:45 PM
    Isn't anyone checking you out for Lupus?? You seems to have the entire spectrum of symptoms.

Symptoms of Lupus --
    * Butterfly rash
    * Abdominal pain
    * Difficulty concentrating and mild trouble with memory
    * Fatigue
    * Fever
    * Hair loss
    * Headaches
    * Inflammation of the lungs and chest pain when breathing deeply
    * Lesions or sores in the mouth or nose
    * Muscle and joint pain and swollen joints
    * Nausea and vomiting
    * Rashes elsewhere on the body
    * Sensitivity to sunlight (photosensitivity)

Do you take a fish oil capsule every day? Have you tried acupuncture?
    Uber Member

Sep 1, 2011, 10:45 PM
    The hormones have not been checked at all. Just regular normal routine blood work. Never checked for lupus and not sure if doctor would be even willing to check into that possibility.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 1, 2011, 10:53 PM
    Can you stomp your little feet and demand that someone look at the possibility?
    Expert

Sep 1, 2011, 10:59 PM
    Hummm, I suggest lupus first and I get ignored? :(
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 1, 2011, 11:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    Hummm, I suggest lupus first and I get ignored? :(
    You weren't ignored. He mentioned hormones in his post. My post is time-stamped the same time as his, so he saw yours first.
    Expert

Sep 1, 2011, 11:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    You weren't ignored. He mentioned hormones in his post. My post is time-stamped the same time as his, so he saw yours first.
    I'm just messin' with you! :D

I didn't have the time right now, at work, to go into as much detail as you did. But great minds do think alike, don't they? :p
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 1, 2011, 11:21 PM
    Lupus is not something to ignore, Joe. It can really make you sick. Do you want me to write letters? Storm the doctors' offices? Send my attack cat? Your auntie loves her little cyber nephew and wants you to demand medical help and a diagnosis.
    Expert

Sep 1, 2011, 11:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Lupus is not something to ignore, Joe. It can really make you sick. Do you want me to write letters? storm the doctors' offices? send my attack cat? Your auntie loves her little cyber nephew and wants you to demand medical help and a diagnosis.
    I totally agree Joe! You might have a hard time up there in Canada getting a doctor to test you as it really is known as the "women's disease," but you seem to have the classic tell-tale symptoms. You need to really be your own advocate now.
    Uber Member

Sep 22, 2011, 02:33 PM
    Tests for ANA antibody came back negative.

Doctor is not sure about the hair loss.

We are going to be focusing on the sleep and reflux and go from there I guess.

Weight loss, thought I loss more but doctor said my losing weight has leveled off the last few months.

So there you have it.

Will be going for a swallow test next week, and also going for a neck MRI in January.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 22, 2011, 02:37 PM
    No one is putting all this information together to decide what is going on? Or they're still accumulating data?
    Uber Member

Sep 22, 2011, 03:49 PM
    No one is putting anything together, just going for test after test if nothing comes back its all in your head. Pretty much sums up my experience and their approach.
    Expert

Sep 22, 2011, 03:59 PM
    Joe, ANA is not the only test. It should be used in conjunction with other tests to diagnose Lupus. Your SED rate should be tested for presence of inflammation, as well as the CRP (C-Reactive Protein).

I found this interesting.

A negative ANA result makes SLE an unlikely diagnosis. It usually is not necessary to immediately repeat a negative ANA test; however, due to the episodic nature of autoimmune diseases, it may be worthwhile to repeat the ANA test at a future date if symptoms persist.
    ANA: The Test | Antinuclear Antibody
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 22, 2011, 05:39 PM
    J_9 hit the nail on the head: "the episodic nature of autoimmune diseases." That's why doctors aren't pulling symptoms together into a diagnosis. Reminds me of the story of the blind men and the elephant.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is it safe to have 3 lots of hair dye in 1month to try and rectify hair disaster? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I posted yesterday, with no replies yet. Basically. I have got long hair which is dark brown (dyed) base and I had bleached blonde panels. I then wanted the panels red which my colourist did and it looiked great but after just 1 wash all the red had practically gone and I was left with...

Negative tests, many symptoms including weight gain, is it possible? [ 5 Answers ]

I got married at the end of June. My husband and I are trying to have a child so I stopped taking my birth control pills. Since then I have had no period although my doctor says it can sometimes take five or six months for a women's cycle to straighten itself out after being on the pill, I feel I...

Weight loss in my legs [ 3 Answers ]

Last year I was perfect. This year even though I work out 1 hour a day and eat less, my legs are still solid and flabby. How do I lose weight on my thighs and calves to give them the skinny look? Help me.

Cat Hair Loss - with no other symptoms [ 2 Answers ]

I have a four year old cat that's really lazy, a picky eater, and will only drink water from a running source i.e. the fish tank filter, the sink, the shower, etc. He's got hair balding on his head in front of his ears, no scratching, bumbs or redness. He's also got a similar thinning spot...

View more questions Search