Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Apex2011 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 31, 2011, 04:17 PM
    My dog chewed the wires leading to my AC Unit
    I got home today and the dog completely chewed off the wires that go to the AC unit. How do I reatach the wires to make the unit come back on. The air handler was on when I got home and the house was 81 degrees. The fan was not blowing in the outside unit. What do I do.
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Aug 31, 2011, 07:50 PM
    Match the colors and splice them back together,, kill power to furnace 1st, unless the wires shorted and fried the transformer it should work
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 31, 2011, 09:22 PM
    If the dog is still alive you must be talking about the low voltage control wires. Strip back about 3/4" of insulation, twist the two ends of each wire together, bend the twist over and wrap with electrical tape. Strip and twist the ends of one wire together, warp with about three wraps of tape. Strip and twist the ends of the second wire together then wrap the twist of the second wire together with the first wire with another three wraps of tape.

Note, it the unit does not come on after you splice the wires back together, you have probably blown a little 3 to 5 amp fuse in the inside control unit.
    patsylara Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 30, 2013, 12:23 PM
    Where do I find this fuse,I'm a dinasour and a single women,help!
    patsylara Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 30, 2013, 12:24 PM
    The wires are red green and white coming from the wall, the two coming from the unit are blue and yellow but the blue is connected to the yellow inside the ac unit?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jun 30, 2013, 02:22 PM
    Open inside unit, follow control wiring and see which wires are connected. Probably only two wires connected. Outside reconnect those two wires to the two wires that are connected to the contactor. Doesn't matter which connect to which.

If ac does not come on look for fuse inside unit inside house. Fuse will probably be automotive type like shown below. You will be looking at the end of fuse, not at the side.
    Attached Images

wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Jun 30, 2013, 04:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by patsylara View Post
    where do i find this fuse,im a dinasour and a single women,help!

What fuse?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dog chewed my A/C wires outside. Can anyone help? [ 5 Answers ]

Can anyone save me some money for this simple fix? The dog chewed the wires from my a/c unit outside. There is a white, green, and red wire that are disconnected. There are two yellow wires that come off the contactor. Neither of these are connected to anything. Which wires do I reconnect? ...

Dog Chewed Wires On Outside HVAC Unit [ 10 Answers ]

Hello. My puppy decided to chew the wires on my hvac unit outside. There are 3 wires. Red, Green, and White. I assumed that I needed to splice red to red, white to white, and green to green. I did that and the unit still does not come on outside. Any ideas? York Model H1RE036S06H Thanks...

Chewed off wires on outside unit [ 2 Answers ]

Something has chewed off our two wires connecting something like the compressor switch. Chewed clean off-- twice in just days! It is right in the open outside of the unit on the ground. What can we cover it with or put on it. I really don't want to use poison because of my pets. This is getting...

Dog chewed wires [ 3 Answers ]

I just bought a new house and of course we had to get a new dog. Well he decided to chew and rip out the thermostat wire from the ac unit. I'm having trouble seeing where the wires are supposed to be connected inside the unit. I work on electronics for a living and this is confusing me. The...

View more questions Search