Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lushagoonie Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2007, 10:07 AM
    Any treatments for Osteo- arthritis?
    Hello, my mother has recently been diagnosed with Osteo- arthritis. Is something the doctors say she will live with for the rest of her life its just about adapting to the pain. I was wondering if anyone can suggest treatments. Phsio and chiropractor seems out of the question according to most websites as its too violent, painkillers don't seem to be working. I suggested swimming or pilates but I would like any further suggestions? Thanks
    Deuce Rider Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Jun 7, 2007, 08:28 PM
    Osteo-Arthritis (OA) is a natural degenerative process affecting the joints, and is a result of everyday ware-and-tear on the joints. Think of it as losing tread off the tires of your car: the more and longer you drive it, the more tread you lose... the harder you are on the tires (e.g. frequent skidding or "patching out"), the more tread you lose. Someone who has malalignment of the joints or muscle imbalance will tend to develop OA sooner and to a greater degree... just like driving a car that is out of alignment will lead to a greater and more uneven amount of tread-ware.
    Gentle exercise and pain/inflammation control are the best means of self-management. Pool therapy (Aquatic Therapy) is an excellent choice for Osteo Arthritis (OA). The buoyancy factor of water allows for less weight bearing through the joints, and the water provides sufficient resistance to allow for gentle strengthening. Most indoor pools are also at a soothing temperature that your Mother will probably find comforting.
    Hope this helps, and my regards to your Mother.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Arthritis [ 3 Answers ]

I've had Arthritis for many years, A few years ago I started taking Bextra and it was awesome, I felt like a kid again. Well they've taken it off the market, and I'm aching again. I am taking Glucosamine/Condroiten & Fishoil. It helps a little. Do you know of anything that will help with this 24/7...

Canine Arthritis [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have a 13 yr old miniature beagle that, lately , has been suffering from arthritis. I was wondering if anyone knows any treatments that I can provide for her myself. I am aware of some of the medicinal treatments.

Arthritis [ 3 Answers ]

Deos fish oil i.e. cod liver oil help to relieve arthritis

Arthritis-Daschund [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 12 year old Daschund who take four steps stop shake then another four steps. His neck and head are now lower. I have visited with the Vet and was told he has Arthitis in neck and front legs. Gave medication but does not help. I need to know how much pain is my pet suffering too much. I...

View more questions Search