Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Rogersr Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 30, 2011, 05:25 PM
    Hooking a TV to 220v (black, Red, Green) (110, 110, Safety ground.
    What will this do to the TV the fuses did not blow but the TV will not come on. Will the same result happen to a Micro-wave?
    drtom4444 Posts: 3,282, Reputation: 145
    Ultra Member

Aug 31, 2011, 09:57 AM
    All a 120 volt outlet is is an outlet with one hot from the 220 line and one ground/ neutral wire, plus an extra ground on the green terminal. The hot wire goes to the brass screw and the white neutral wire goes to the silver screw and the ground goes to the green screw. If you put 220 volts to a TV or any other 120 volt appliance you will burn it up. Why on Earth would you do this? A TV that has been plugged into 220 volts may have just blown a fuse in the power supply, or the transformer in the power supply could be blown. I have seen computers that have a switch where you can run them on 120 or 220 volts, but I don't know about TVs. Always check the voltage with a meter if you are not sure.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Installing a 110 outlet on a 220v service [ 1 Answers ]

I have black, red, white and a ground heading to my water heater and it passes through a J-box. Can I use the black, white and ground to install an outlet for a heat tape for the unit?

Hooking up timer, small motor for a 1.5 hp, 110 v pool pump. [ 4 Answers ]

We have now seen 3 timer motors work, then stop in a couple of days, after hooking them up to our pool pump. When we replaced the lst timer, instead of hooking up the timer motor leads to their own circuit, the repairperson hooked them up at the same terminals as the leads from the pump. Is this...

L 110 Safety Switches [ 2 Answers ]

How can I disable the safety switch in my seat?

110 v outlet off a 220 while maintaining 220v for a water pump [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 10-2 with ground 220 line to a water pump with no access to a 110 circuit. I need to install a 110 circuit to run a lights in the pumphouse. Can I do this by using a 1 hot lead and the ground wire as neutral to get the 110 power and then pound a ground stake in and connect the 110 ground...

View more questions Search