Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Brian75 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 29, 2011, 11:10 AM
    #4 Grounding wire 200 amp service spliced?
    Upgrade my 100 amp panel to a 200 amp panel. I ran a #4 ground to the copper water pipe in the basement. The ground wire was accidentally cut. Can the ground wire be spliced?
    parttime Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 113
    Ultra Member

Aug 29, 2011, 12:38 PM
    Hi Brian and welcome, an expert will be along shortly, but in my area the ground wire must be continuous. Good luck
    Brian75 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 29, 2011, 03:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by parttime View Post
    Hi Brian and welcome, an expert will be along shortly, but in my area the ground wire must be continous. good luck
    Thank you parttime

It has already been inspected. I know code here is that it must be continuous too. Didn't want to replace it if I don't have to about $100 to replace.
    parttime Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 113
    Ultra Member

Aug 29, 2011, 04:28 PM
    I see, KT or another expert will see this and answer your question. Good luck
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Aug 30, 2011, 07:41 AM
    This grounding electrode conductor either neds to be a continuous conductor, or can be spliced with an irreversible connection, which would be a compression connection.

You can find a butt splice connector at an electrical distributor, would need to borrow or rent a crimping tool.

Some distributors rent out these tools.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How should I wire a 320 amp service to 2 200 amp panels? [ 1 Answers ]

I am upgrading a 200 amp service to a 320 amp meter and adding a 2nd 200 amp panel. Most of the wiring diagrams I have seen recommend installing 2 200 amp breakers off the meter panel and sending them to the 2 200 amp main lug breaker panels. Wouldn't this configuration allow up to a 400 amp...

Wire size for 200 amp service [ 2 Answers ]

I am adding a new service to a pole barn. What wire size do I need to use from the meter socket to the pole when the pole is about 400 feet away? I need to know the wire size for 100 amp service and a 200 amp service? Thanks

Grounding a 200 Amp Service [ 1 Answers ]

I am installing a new 200A load center (main) for a 100A (existing) panel. I noticed that the ground wire is just a 14/2 wire run outside:). I will need to run a ground from the new panel but the water meter is about 25' away. Can I run the new bare copper ground wire through the wall and into the...

200 amp service / grounding [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 200 amp meter on a power company pole in the country for barn electricity. I have built a small shed 285' away and want 100 amp service. Based on the distance, I am planning on using 4/0 4/0 2/0 Al URD cable in 2" conduit buried 24". To get the lug sizes to fit the 4/0, I am using 200...

Wire Size For 200 Amp Service [ 2 Answers ]

Recently purchased new mobile home with a 200 amp breaker inside.the distance between the outside pole and inside breaker is about 70 feet.what size,or type,or gauge wire do i need to run. Lost in paradis... :) :confused:

View more questions Search