Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ocean3544 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2011, 04:12 PM
    Suing Someone for Defamation of Character?
    I was an employee of a radio station. I was a sales person and also a co-host on a radio show. Long story short, I had a good reputation with businesses and other radio stations. I left the station as a sales person with good production, always came to work, never caused drama, and was an all around team player. I was treated with much respect by the GM and the station while I was on the sales staff. I left the sales staff and signed a contract with the station to do my own show. When this happened, everything changed. I started getting treated differently to the point that it was uncomfortable. They didn't air one of my shows. I started hearing from some of my former clients, while I was doing the show, that the GM and his staff had been saying negative things about me. The client told me, that they were bashing me pretty hard for no reason. Blaming some of the stations problems on me, just as an example. I asked the GM about this and he denied it. It got so uncomfortable that I decided to end the contract (which had a 2 week notice to cancel) and did this by email to the GM. I decided that I'd rather just go to another radio station that I hadn't been an employee of to do the show. I even included in the email that I was feeling uncomfortable. He agreed to let me end the contract. I leave the station and start looking at a couple of radio stations to take my show to. The process is usually a few weeks to months. I'm about 6 weeks out from cutting ties w/ the station. I've submitted my show to other stations and waiting for a response. Nothing is out of the normal. I start getting word from other stations that it has been spread that I didn't resign, but I was fired. Not only is it false that I was fired, it was also said that I was fired because I was lazy and wouldn't work. I have proof that this didn't happen. I have people that are telling me that this company is damaging my good reputation. What do I do?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 28, 2011, 04:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocean3544 View Post
    What do I do?
    Hello O:

You visit a lawyer tomorrow morning.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 28, 2011, 04:24 PM
    You have to figure what is the dollar value of what they said is worth.
    Then you have to talk to and get these other radio station managers to agree to testify in court.

When you are applying and interviewing at the other radio stations are you not taking in your sales numbers, copies of your release from the other station, and agreement to end your contract.
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Aug 28, 2011, 05:15 PM
    Defamation plain and simple http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defamation

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Defamation of character? [ 3 Answers ]

I go on a website called Facebook.com and on there I play a game called Zynga poker,anyway I brought chips from my phone so I could play poker I got a message on my phone saying the transcation was completed.I then went to play poker and notice the chips wasn't there to play with which I paid for.I...

Defamation of character [ 13 Answers ]

I was working tonight at the restaurant where Ive worked for over a year when a security guard from my old job came in with her boyfriend. I had gotten arrested from there and fired for shoplifting a couple years back.She told the owner that I was making her uncomfortable when I was not doing...

Defamation of character [ 1 Answers ]

How much to sue, my husband, in a defamation of character case

Defamation of my character [ 1 Answers ]

I have a job in an health facilty.. I had to be finger printed.. thus 4 times as they were not readable.After the 4th time they were done at the trooper barracks in olean,ny.thus they still came back not readable.They I assume did a background check which came up with a prostitution arrest in...

Defamation of character [ 6 Answers ]

If someone that works at the front desk of my apartment building calls me a "bad tenant" while on the phone with someone that called to leave a message for me, is that considered defamation of character?

View more questions Search