Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 28, 2011, 03:45 PM
    87 Ford F150 Shift Lock
    87 Ford, F150, 2WD, tilt steering wheel, auto trans, shift lever on steering column.

Had problems with starting. Bypassed ignition switch by rigging wire to starter solenoid as temporary measure until I can get new ignition switch.

Now shift leaver locked up. Have pulled steering wheel looking for locking mechanism. Can't seem to find anything mechanical locking shifter lever.

Have disconnect linkage to trans. Trans shifts so not trans locked up.

Any hints.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Aug 28, 2011, 03:59 PM
    Check all under dash and under hood fuses with a test light or multimeter.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Aug 28, 2011, 04:47 PM
    Do your Brake lights work?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 28, 2011, 09:15 PM
    Found it. The locking pin, which was part of the linkage between the actuator of the lock cylinder and the rod to the ignition switch, had sheared off. The broken part was still in the hole and flush with the surface so I didn't recognize it. Then I had a hell of a time getting it out. Now if I can only find replacement parts.

Got to keep this truck running, its going to be my coffin.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

F150 Shift is locked/ Windows/ Cruise [ 11 Answers ]

My F150 QC shift is locked into place and won't move. My automatic windows won't work either and the cab lights aren't working. Just walked out this morning and all of a sudden I have these problems! Also, when you push my cruise control 'on' it honks the horn.. Help!

Shift cable on a F150 [ 4 Answers ]

How do you tell if a shift cable needs to be replaced or lubed. Shift lever is rough to shift up and down through the gears.

Shift Lock Mechanism [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 1998 Nissan Sentra with an automatic transmission. It appears that the shift lock mechansim is failing. Whenever I am driving and the car is in any gear and I step on the brake the shift lock solenoid energizes and I hear a click. Other wise the shift lock works correctly, it keeps me...

Shift lock switch [ 10 Answers ]

I have a 1998 Ford Expedition. It would shift out of park. I determined that it was the brake light/shift lock switch so I replaced it. Still wouldn't work. Determined of all things that it was a fuse. Replaced it and it work fine for about 2 weeks then the fuse blew again. I replaced the...

Shift lock release [ 1 Answers ]

Where is the shift lock release located on a ford exployer

View more questions Search