Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ninob123 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2007, 06:16 AM
    Bank Garnishment
    What funds are exempt from bank garnishment in Georgia?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 2, 2007, 09:09 AM
    No funds in a checking or savings account in a bank are safe from garnishment in Georgia ( GA USA)
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Feb 2, 2007, 09:16 AM
    Safe from Garnishment

Federal law makes Social Security benefits exempt from levy, garnishment, and assignment- 42 USC 407(a) states. "In general the right of any future payments under this sub chapter SHALL NOT be Transferable or assignable. AND NONE of the moneys paid or payable or rights existing under this subchapter shall be subject to execution, levey, attachment, garnishment, or other legal process, or to the operation of any bankruptcy or insolvency law".

This means that even if a creditor or debt attorney, collection agency has a judgement against you they CAN NOT garnish your SS payments nor can they take the money from you after it has been paid to you; for example, the portion of your bank account that is attributable to your SS benefits is EXEMPT from LEVY OR ATTACHMENT
    ninob123 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2007, 11:46 AM
    Something must be exempt or the garnishment order would not state hold all property, money,wages, except what is exempt.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 2, 2007, 12:57 PM
    Many things are exempt, a lot of your personal property, your checks from social security. If you would explain your situation it may clear it up,

Are you 70 on social security or 25 working at kroger ?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bank Account Garnishment [ 13 Answers ]

I was notified that a garnishment on my bank account was put in place due to a judgement against me. Will the bank continue to freeze money direct deposited into the account if the deposit is more than the total amount of the garnishment, or does the bank only freeze up to the amount of the...

Garnishment on our bank account [ 4 Answers ]

Two days ago I found out that a collection agency has gotten a court order fro a judgment against our checking account. Apparently this was for a debt my husband had. We are both on the checking account. My Apparently never received a letter, notice or anything else to notify us that there was a...

Garnishment of Bank Account [ 13 Answers ]

Can a collection agency in New York State garnish or place a hold/freeze on a Limited Liability Corporation account if the name of the person they are after appears on the account as well? In other words, if 'John Doe' has defaulted on a huge loan and 'John Doe' owns 'Doogy Shampoo LLC', can...

Bank Account Garnishment [ 2 Answers ]

I live in Michigan. Can a Credit Card Company garnish a Christmas Fund Account? Thanks in advance for any answers, Veronica

View more questions Search