Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Pooter84 Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Aug 26, 2011, 11:00 AM
    Everest College to become a Paralegal... Scam?
    I recently graduated from High School in May 11', and I graduated without any plans of continuing my education. Then Finally I decided to go back to school. I researched a lot of different colleges, and I came across Everest. I called them, and soon I registering for classes. I am feeling kind of skeptical because I've read so many complaints online about Everest being a scam school.
    I start school Monday (8/29/11) and I'm afraid.
    I don't want to go to a school that's not accredited.. And has 0 chances of me getting hired in the field after I graduate. It's a two year program, that offers an Associates in Science degree. The paralegal program isn't even ABA approved. But the Administrations representative said that wouldn't stop me from getting a job afterwards. The School says that its (ACICS) Accredited..
    I don't know what to do :-/

I enrolled in community college, but the classes were all full, and I didn't want to wait unitl January to start going back to school.

:( What should I do.. Stay at Everest, Wait unitl January to go to community college, or look for another paralegal school?
    The Everest Campus I'm going to is the Ontario Metro Campus in California.

If anyone has any advice to give me, please get back to me !
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 26, 2011, 11:05 AM
    I would wait, if I were you, until January, take a break, and go to a community college for your paralegal course. Community colleges are known for hands on experience rather then theory. I haven't heard anything about this on line school being a scam, I have use on line courses with satisfaction but if you are angonizing over it, it isn't going to work. You have to feel comfortable with your decision and you are apparently not comfortable. You will always wonder. Take the community college course and enjoy the interaction with other students; the questions and answers in a real classroom. Becoming a paralegal is such a wonderful job, do it right and good luck !

Tick
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Aug 26, 2011, 11:45 AM
    I just looked up Everest College Complaints and... yeah, there's a lot of them. I would also be quite nervous about the whole idea as well. Maybe it will work out for you but then again, maybe you will wind up being one of those complaining about it. I'm sure they're charging you quite a bit to do it so the question is, do you want to take that chance with your money?

Me? I would wait it out until January but really this is something you need to decide on your own.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 26, 2011, 11:45 AM
    There's an Everest College "campus" near me. Their programs aren't accredited by any worthwhile entity. I checked with area libraries who screamed SCAM. In fact, I know EXACTLY where their "campus" is supposed to be, have driven past that building many times.

How about calling your community college to find out if you can take a legal terminology course or some such online as a new student or student at large to get your feet wet and earn a bit of credit?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 26, 2011, 08:37 PM
    This is the issue, in many places, there is no requirement to be hired as a paralegal to have any real license or accreditation.
    Other states have more rules.

So could you get hired, yes, Is there a much better chance of getting hired by going to an accredited school, yes.

I would wait for another school that is approved
    tomtom144 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 3, 2011, 07:33 PM
    This school will have you paying 40k for a Associates that worthless your credits will not transfer, this is a for profit school they focus on profits only, go to the community college, you credits will transfer and you will end up baying 4k for your degree, be able to continue your education if you choose and not be saddled with debt. I went to work for one of these schools shortly after getting my BS from a state university and honestly the two do not compare and employers know this.

When you do something do it right there are no shortcuts... also one rule to live by is this, if someone is pursuing you and telling you its in your best interest then you should probably walk away.. example you apply to a state school, you may get some information in the mail.. if you don't follow up you probably won't hear from them again... try that with any for profit school, they will call you 30 times a day and sell you the moon to get you enrolled.

Please forgive any typo's/errors.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 3, 2011, 07:40 PM
    In all respect to many non accredited schools, it is true their credits do not transfer, so you have to decide what you are wanting the degree for.

With that said, not every credit in even state or public schools transfer to every other school, I had some credits at the University of Missouri that would not transfer to one in Georgia.

Often we go, and I have went to a couple non accredited schools for what I wanted to learn, or at the time it was the only available classes I could take with my schedule.

And for law schools, there was one here in Atlanta, that was not ABA accredited for years, you could sit for the Georgia Bar, but only for Georgia. Well after years it became ABA accredited. Students went to the school when it was not accredited because they could still become part of the Bar here. Just not in other states.
    mrdowns Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Feb 2, 2012, 10:30 AM
    It's ACICS accredited which means your units will never transfer to any worthwhile school anywhere. It's not ABA approved either which means the employers' market is going to consider you last. So it's not transferable, it lacks the qualifications employers seek, and it's probably costing upwards of 400 dollars per single credit. It amazes me that these schools exist; they should be shut down.

I just looked up their associates in paralegal--it's over 43 grand!! What!
    kehligirl70 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 27, 2013, 09:37 AM
    I am currently in the Everest Paralegal program, and my degree is accredited. I am looking at a wonderful opportunity to work for a law firm for my internship before graduating, and it also goes towards my credits and I may graduate earlier than expected. I enjoy Everest and have received so many grants and loans and scholarships,I have a very small payment back. You have to make your mark, make your choices in life and not let anyone else's opinions sway you. It's what you make of it. I am making Everest an amazing experience and it's paying off in leaps and bounds.
    lawyerwannabe Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 19, 2013, 01:17 AM
    I entered the Paralegal Program at Everest in 2008 and graduated in 2010. Many of my fellow students that graduated with me could not find a job. I find that it was for various reasons such as a bad resume, bad interview, or not trying to get work.Many people think, and sometimes the faculty will put that idea in your head that you will get a job right away with no problem after you graduate. However, remember that you are competing for jobs with other recent graduates from your school and other schools, and additionally, paralegals with experience are also sending their resumes out. The school can only show you the door and how to open it. The school, however, can't open the door for you.

As far as the accreditation is concerned its not the same that traditional universities have. Ask yourself, what is the ultimate goal for your education? I was able to get my credits transferred to University of Phoenix, where I finished my Bachelor's Degree at. Every school is different. If you decide to choose Everest, you would need to go the private school route to transfer in most cases.Private schools have a bad reputation for not caring for their students and only wanting your money, but I don't agree with that, and found that my education exceeded some students at public institutions with the same level of education.

Like anything else, your experience at Everest College or anywhere else is what you make of it. For me, it assisted me in finding my passion which is law. Additionally, my education enabled me to be accepted to 3 out 4 law schools that I applied to. You can do anything you set your mind to. Good Luck in your endeavors.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Campbell, Cohen (Attorneys at Law) is scam or not scam? [ 7 Answers ]

If anyone can tell my please answer me

Everest nightmare [ 1 Answers ]

I started school in Sept. filled out all paperwork, everything was perfect. I did it all on my own. Then in Nov. the financial advisor called me into her office and said, " well, all of your paperwork was good except you are missing 4,000 dollars and if you can't pay atleast $300 a month we are...

Tallest man to climb Everest [ 3 Answers ]

Who was the tallest man to climb Mount Everest?

Anybody from Everest Consulting Group filed for H1B - Successful/QUERIED [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I have filed my h1b with Everest Consulting Group(Everest Consulting Group Inc.) and was issued with 221(g) form in Embassy. Its been more than 4 months since I was queried. I am continuosuly asking Everest people to prepare the relavent documents and send it to me. But no reply from Everest...

Backpack Everest Base Camp. [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know if it is mandatory to hire a guide to hike to Everest Base Camp?

View more questions Search