Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Beverleigh Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 25, 2011, 10:04 PM
    31 year old daughter living back at home and is disrespectful what to do?
    Threads merged

I have a 31 year old daughter who broke up with her abusive boyfriend 6 months ago and is now living at home.
    She gets on well with my fiancé and makes fun of me to him like "Look at that big hippo" and they both laugh, also makes fun of me in company and they both have a good laugh about it. It makes me feel like my home is not mine anymore.

She met another boyfriend about 2 months ago, asked me if he could sleep over and I said under no circumstances. She then went and asked my fiancé and he said yes. So the young aggressive man started spending weekends at our house and never contributed a thing, never greets and just expects everything handed to him, I say no eating in the room, he eats in the room my daughter says its fine for him to do so.

They had an argument 1 week ago when they where out with friends, my fiancé was sleeping and I was watching a show on TV. When she came back home screaming and sayiing he hit her and swore her. And I must go and talk to him at the car, he then came in and started pushing her around, I tried to protect her and he hit me across the face. I woke my boyfriend up, he had a lot to drink and tried to get the boyfriend to leave he did not want to leave, I got my gun and asked him to leave eventually he did. My daughter takes his side and said I held a gun to his head and I did not.

I have told my daughter that I do not want him near this house and my fiancé agrees.

I wish my daughter would move to another place as she is very disrespectful to me.
    What should I do. She is also taken and fetched from work in my car everyday.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 26, 2011, 04:09 AM
    First lock that gun away. If you do evict, you don't want that story hanging over your head. And you don't want anyone shooting anyone either.
    Second, stop ALLOWING all this to happen. You don't even say who is driving her to work in your car - how hard is it to make your keys unavailable?
    Third, give her 30 days written notice to move out or she will be evicted, and meanwhile find out the eviction process in your locale. Of course this depends on who owns the house.
    Again, you are allowing this to happen, and you are putting up with a man who enjoys her a little too much too. Time to break up with him.
    Beverleigh Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 26, 2011, 11:41 AM
    Boyfriend drinks on weekends starts on a Thursday...
    Please someone give me advise as to what I should do with a man that drinks from a Thursday evening until a Sunday evening. That is a bottle a day.

He is not aggressive but argumentative toward me. Always picking a fight with me about silly things. For instance he would water the garden for 5 hours at a time until the water runs down the road. He would boil the kettle about 15 times to wash the dishes, when I say we have hot water in the gyser he says Boo Hoo sob sob!

We have NO money he sells property which I help him with, but needs to take all the credit , he has been selling property for 9 years and I have for 20 years. I know that I am a good agent. and when we meet up with old clients and they comment on the good service I gave them, he gets upset with me,

I feel as though my life is slipping away as I used to be very motivated as an agent, now I don't even try.
    I feel as though I am going mad!
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 26, 2011, 11:48 AM
    Bev, alcoholism is genetic, so he comes by it honestly, but there is always an underlying issue with substance abusers which makes their habit worse. It is only a matter of time until he becomes physically abusive and I know the roller coaster ride you are going through. You either have to get out before it drags you down completely, or try to talk him into getting help through AA, but he has to recognize he has a problem and I quite sure he will say he hasn't.

I know first hand what you are going through emotionally.

Tick
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Aug 26, 2011, 11:54 AM
    The easy answer... Dump the bum.

Now that I've said that... I'm relatively sure that you already pretty much know what you should do. I think you know the answer to this or you wouldn't be posting here. You have to weight the good against the bad. Is the way he treats you otherwise enough to offset the way he is Thursday through Sunday? Probably not. Most people who act like that are overall bums to begin with and aren't the best of people even when they're not drinking. The fact that you say you feel like your life is slipping away and you are going mad makes me think that it is even more than just the drinking that is the problem. It's easy for me to say and maybe not as easy to do but I think you'd be better off without him.

Good luck.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 26, 2011, 01:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Beverleigh View Post
    I feel as though I am going mad!
    Hello B:

Throw that loser to the curb.

excon
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 26, 2011, 02:15 PM
    I had to spead the rep, exxy, I totally agree, he will only drag her down with him until they have nothing in common or in wealth.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 27, 2011, 04:09 PM
    Why did you ask about your daughter separately? They are both part of the problem. You aren't giving yourself enough self worth with either of them.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 27, 2011, 04:40 PM
    It appears he is a drunk,

You are making excuses, He is drinking on the weekend. No he is drinking 4 out of 7 days, and I bet he drinks the other days too.

So you can learn to deal with a drunk, or you can kick him to the curb, that is your only choice, he will not change unless he wants to
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Aug 28, 2011, 02:43 PM
    Agree 100% with joy, and to add, it sounds like you may need to re-evaluate your relationship with your own boyfriend as well. Him laughing with your daughter while calling you a hippo is NOT a healthy relationship and if he refuses to stop making light of your struggles and body, then his butt needs kicked to the curb as well.

Quit letting people walk on you. This is something I too learned the hard way, and though I know you won't believe it yet (it took me a long time to believe it) you DO deserve better, and you WILL feel better once you get rid of those toxic people.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 28, 2011, 03:23 PM
    You should not have your boyfriend agree and making fun of you. If he is laughing at the comments and going behind your back to decide things, he should be the one going first.

But who owns the house ? You or you and boyfriend ?
    Or do you rent, if you do, who is on the lease ?

You can not even kick her out, if boyfriend is on the home or lease
    Homegirl 50 Posts: 10,794, Reputation: 2604
    Dating & Teen Expert

Aug 28, 2011, 04:57 PM
    Is this your house or your fiancé's house? If it's yours, kick them both out if it is his, you leave.
    I would not want the fiancé either. He's as bad as she is.
    Stop allowing yourself to be abused.
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Aug 29, 2011, 08:54 AM
    It sounds like that everyone in the whole house hold needs some sort of counseling. It does not seem like a friendly environment for anyone. With or without the boyfriend or daughter , etc...
    The relationships are not good ones. What you need to do is take steps to get your daughter moved out. Then figure out if you and your fiancé needs to work some things out too.

Whether you like to admit it or not. There are issues there too. Red flags galore.
    phillysteakandcheese Posts: 973, Reputation: 356

Aug 29, 2011, 09:51 AM
    After he hit you, why didn't you call the police?

Things in your home have gotten out of control.
    It's time for both fiancé and daughter to go, and for you to work on improving your self-esteem.

Also - I don't think bringing out the gun was a good idea, although I can understand why you did. The problem is that the boyfirend is now likely to go get a gun too... and next time you'll be having a Mexican Standoff.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Sep 2, 2011, 05:35 PM
    You should have called the police and had him arrested for hitting you. They can do that nowadays and he will have a domestic abuse charge on his record.

Apparently everyone is walking all over you with hobnail boots. Time to really rethink this situation. Do you need the abusive fiancée and the abusive daughter? No. Then take steps to remove them from the home provided the home is YOURS.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Sep 2, 2011, 08:03 PM
    After reading and merging both of your posts, I think you are better off without them both. They are both poison. Sorry.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Disrespectful, lazy 26 year old daughter [ 10 Answers ]

I have a daughter who is 26 years old, single with 1 child and is disrespectful to her parents. She lived with a useless, controlling boyfriend that got her preqnant a couple years ago. We finally got her and her son (our grandson whom we dearly love) to move back in with us. She was going to...

22 Year old Daughter disrespectful [ 22 Answers ]

Just wondered if I'm in the wrong or is she right? I am a widow and have been raising my now 22 year old daughter. She has this boyfriend that is an airline pilot and he really doesn't act like he really cares for her. He didn't txt or emails my daughter for a month or two. She didn't hear...

18 Year Old Still Living at Home [ 7 Answers ]

My wife and I still have an 18 year old son living with us. He graduated from high school, but is not interested in going any farther. We have offered to pay, but he's still not interested in school. He "hangs out" with his friends, and sometimes comes home drunk or high. We live in Tennessee and...

18 year olds living at home [ 13 Answers ]

I have an 18 year old son who seems to be spending a lot of time away from home. He is still at school and is doing quite well and has 2 p/t jobs as well as a steady girlfriend. Since turning 18 he had a party at our house without asking and has been staying over at his girlfriends a lot. He says...

21 yo single daughter pregnant and living at Home [ 2 Answers ]

We have a 21 yo daughter that has a GED education works as a casher and is engaged to a 32 yo looser with no job and lives with his grandmother. (Made for TV movie?) Needless to say she still lives at our house with my wife, me and our 16 yo daughter. She has been living at our house for free in...

View more questions Search