Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BUTTERFLY47201 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2007, 10:43 PM
    Addicted to oxycotin
    I Need To Know About Withdrawals From Oxycotin And How To Come Off Fo Them And Side Effects Please Help Me I Want To Come Off Them With Out All The Withdrawals I Have Been Taking Them For Two Years Because I Have Health Issues And My Doctor Is Wanting To Take My Off Them Cold Turkey And Iam Scared Of The Withdrawals I Have Been Having Bad Stomach Cramps And Shakes I Would Like To Know How Long These Symptons Will Last

Thank You,
    Butterfly47201
    go-ask-mom Posts: 115, Reputation: 18

Mar 14, 2007, 11:03 PM
    Your Dr. doesn't sound very smart IMO. You should not be taken off Oxycontin "cold turkey" the withdrawals are horrible. There is a tapering schedule he should have you on that will decrease the amount over time with manageble withdraw symptoms. Is this a Pain Mngt. Dr?

(short or long term tapering should be used! Ask... no, DEMAND it! It's YOUR health!)
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Mar 14, 2007, 11:30 PM
    oxycontin withdrawal, Oxycontin Detox & oxycontin withdrawal symptoms by addiction withdrawal.com

Cold turkey is a hard way especially taking the medicine for so long. No matter what way you cut down cold turkey or not you will get some withdrawels but you need to work your way through them if you truly want to stop this addiction.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Mar 15, 2007, 04:33 AM
    I agree that you should be tapered off, however, the addiction may be so strong that it is necessary to cut you cold turkey.

The effects of withdrawal are similar to a raging flu. (We just had lecture on addiction withdrawal yesterday in class). It will last for about 2 - 3 days.

You need to make sure you stay well hydrated during this time. Drink lots of water and sipping on clear carbonated beverages like 7-Up or Sprite can help with some of the stomach upset.
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Mar 15, 2007, 09:14 AM
    The physical effects of withdrawal are probably the least of what you need to be concerned about. As far as I know, the only medically risky withdrawal is from alcohol. But if you prefer, you might arrange to be detoxed in a treatment center, if that is available locally. Call any local hospital and ask where there is a detox center. Like J_9 said, after three days you should be out of the woods for withdrawl symptoms but your active addiction still needs to be addressed or you'll be likely to use again or cross-addict to something else. Have some kind of plan in place to address this part (like seeing a therapist or attending Narcotics Anonymous meetings where you might find others exactly like you who are clean and eager to help you) will greatly up your odds of success. Recovery needs to be Priority One and you need to be prepared to do whatever it takes. I hope this helps and wish you much good luck about this.
    all4peace Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 15, 2007, 12:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by BUTTERFLY47201
    I Need To Know About Withdrawls From Oxycotin And How To Come Off Fo Them And Side Effects Please Help Me I Want To Come Off Of Them With Out All The Withdrawls I Have Been Taking Them For Two Years Because I Have Health Issues And My Doctor Is Wanting To Take My Off Of Them Cold Turkey And Iam Scared Of The Withdrawls I Have Been Having Bad Stomach Cramps And Shakes I Would Like To Know How Long These Symptons Will Last

Thank You,
    Butterfly47201
    Definetely get help with this within the walls of a medical detox facility. Do you want to quit? Or is the desire for you to be off this coming only from your doctor? If you want to make this stick go in and have help and support and STAY away from the everyday disractions. Stay focused on the future of being free from this although in the moment is is painful. There is a withdrawl drug out there called suboxone, or buephonorphine? It helped me pretty effortlessly! Stay strong and work the steps of a "program" to help you look at the unmanagibilty of your life if you stay hooked on this drug

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My Friend is Addicted.. Needs Help [ 9 Answers ]

My friend is addicted to gasoline huffing.. he often haluctinates and does inhales from gas can almost eveyday. He has admitted he needs help but does not want to ask his parents. Is there anyway to help him get over this without asking from adult?

Oxycotin Addiction [ 5 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me how long Oxycotin stays in your system and would show up in an UA? What is the longest time that withdrawals can last? Severe stomach pains is one sign of withdrawal can you tell me if that can come from taking them the normal way? Or can this be from snorting them, shooting...

Spouse Addicted to Oxycotin [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I am going through a difficult time right now and need some emotional support and some extra prayers. My husband was and most likely is still addicted to Oxycotin. 1 1/2 years ago he really flipped out on Oxycotin. He didn't work for over 4 months, laid in the bed 24 hrs. a day and did...

My Friend is Addicted.. Needs Help [ 9 Answers ]

My friend is addicted to gasoline huffing.. he often haluctinates and does inhales from gas can almost eveyday. He has admitted he needs help but does not want to ask his parents. Is there anyway to help him get over this without asking from adult?

Addicted [ 3 Answers ]

Hi. I am so addicted to women, I mean like naked and bikini girls and stuff but I feel if I show it to people I know and stuff it will embarrass me (sorry about the spelling) What do I do?

View more questions Search