Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JesseT. Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 25, 2011, 07:01 AM
    Heat pump refrigerant requirement for a 4 ton unit
    I have installed an Intertherm 4 ton heat pump. I can pull a vacuum on the system, but do not know how many pounds of refrigerant the unit requires.How many pounds does a 4 ton unit requier? I tried to contact the Intertherm web sites and none of their tabs have a customer question category?
    Dr1757 Posts: 186, Reputation: 25

Aug 25, 2011, 07:16 AM
    All new refrigeration outside units come pre charged with the right amount of refrigerant as long as the connecting lines are within a specified length (usually 25 feet) to the cooling unit inside the house. Once the vacuum has been pulled you just open the valves on the outside unit. The installation guide should explain this, but if not, call the manufacturer.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Aug 25, 2011, 03:36 PM
    Agree with Dr. Most all condensers come precharged. However, there are actually some manufacturers that are sending out R-22 units uncharged. They are precharged with nitrogen/helium mix, and need to be charged by weight with R-22. Not sure if this is a loophole around the non manufacture law of 2010 for 22 units or what. Either way, the outside unit will tell the precharge, or nominal operationg charge (if unit is indeed uncharged) on the manufactures label. The charge will be given in oz (ounces). 16 oz to a lbs. NOW, that being said, you must be licensed to work with refrigerants, so I suggest calling in a licensed tech to set the system up. Good luck and please let us know how things work out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I have a Goodman heat pump, I think about 5 ton unit. The fan keeps stopping [ 2 Answers ]

The fan will stop after aprox 5 - 10 minutes. The motor was replaced, same issue. Then the tech bypassed the defrost relay, same issue. Then he wired straight to the contactor with same issue.

2 ton heat pump, too much refrigerant? [ 6 Answers ]

I have a 2 ton rooftop package unit heat pump that blows warm air. I ckecked the refrigerant (r-22) with the ambient temperature being 95 deg f. The high side read 300 on the oustside of the gauge. Shouldn't it be closer to 125? I took these mesurements while it was running. Thanks.

View more questions Search