Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    airbats-goku Posts: 220, Reputation: 16

Feb 1, 2007, 09:56 PM
    I need a new fixation
    I've read-out Janet Evanovich, Stephen King, Dean koontz, Michael Connelly, Anne Rice, Naomi Novik, Alexandre Dumas, Shakespeare, Dan Brown, Louis Lamour, Max Brand, Marilyn Halvorson (great for kids). HELP. I need a new fix! The bookstore cannot get the new books fast enough nor can the writers (those who are alive).:confused:
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Feb 2, 2007, 10:57 AM
    Airbats, kudos to you on your insatiable appetite.

Although these following authors haven't written a lot of books, these really stick in my mind because I couldn't put them down:

Start with The Alienist by Caleb Carr. Then read his follow up books. Not as good as the first, but they are very enjoyable.

Aztec by Gary Jennings. Then read the rest of his books. Unfortunately, he has died. It took him a long time to write each book because of the historical research he did.

When you have a chance to take a look at books by these authors, let me know what you think. I always love discussing books I love.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Feb 2, 2007, 11:07 AM
    If you like fantasy at all...

George R. R. Martin's "Song of Ice and Fire" is probably the best I've ever read (that's the name of the series... the first book is "A Game of Thrones")

Robert Jordan's "Wheel of Time" series is also good... if you can handle unfinished series. The last book is due out... sometime.

Tad Williams "Otherland" books are good, but start slow.

I devour books. I've read just about anything I can get my hands on. Let me know what kinds of books you're interested in (your list of authors covers a LOT of areas!), and I'll let you know other books I've read.
    moomin007 Posts: 158, Reputation: 33

Feb 19, 2007, 02:37 PM
    [QUOTE=Synnen]If you like fantasy at all...

Robert Jordan's "Wheel of Time" series is also good... if you can handle unfinished series. The last book is due out... sometime.

Its supposed to be out later this year... although they said that last year too!

It's a great series to get into though.
    ;)
    SupaCoopa Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2007, 12:06 PM
    Try Chuck Palaniuk, the fellow who wrote Fight Club. Start with Fight Club (it's probably his worst book and it's a pretty good read) and go from there. Try Irving Welsh too. After I read Maribou Stork Nightmares, I wanted to send him a strongly worded letter for screwing with my mind. I would also recommend Elizabeth Kostova's The Historian. Great read and it seems to be in line with your other reading material.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Feb 24, 2007, 12:21 PM
    Sigrid Undset is a great writer, Louise Erdrich, Kathleen Norris, Anais Nin, Joseph Heller, Tony Hillerman, just to name a few.
    airbats-goku Posts: 220, Reputation: 16

Feb 24, 2007, 08:33 PM
    Thanks to everyone for their awesome suggestions. I mean to check out all of these authors. I'm in the beginning of reading some books by Sharon Sala. She has written a few so it could be a while on those. Keep the recommendations coming!!
    bookreadingbelle Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Oct 25, 2007, 02:43 PM
    2 authors you could try: Phillip Pullman, (especially His Dark Materials) and Terry Pratchett- there are 30 books in the series, not counting spin-off types so it will take you a while to read them all!
    vingogly Posts: 718, Reputation: 105

Nov 2, 2007, 01:48 PM
    A few of my favorites (there are many more):

Fantasy: John Crowley or Jonathan Carroll.
    Crime: James Lee Burke or Dennis Lehane.
    Science Fiction: Gene Wolfe (Urth series, seven in all), John Wright's Golden Age trilogy, anything you can find by Stanislaw Lem.
    Mainstream: Doris Betts, Vladimir Nabokov, Flannery O'Connor.

That should keep you busy. :-)

What I'm reading right now: Tin Roof Blowdown, James Lee Burke's latest; and the Aegypt tetralogy by John Crowley (read the first 20 years ago, he finally finished the tetralogy this year).

Vasily

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search