Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jmendez Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2007, 08:50 PM
    Bacteria Bloom In Fish Tank
    Hi my name Janet and I am having a crisis in my fish tank. I have a 29 gallon fish tank that has been running for over 1 year with 2 angels, 3 tiger barbs, 1 swordtail, 1 bosemani rainbow, 1 kribensis, 2 tetras and 3 frogs. I had 2 bala sharks that got sick after maybe 2 days in my tank with ich, so I treated them with prevent ich, melafix and quick cure. They both died. I then began to have problems with my ph levels being too low. I did take out some of my gravel because I felt I had too much in the tank. I also took out some background fake plants and washed all my other décor. I gave away my pleco because he had out grown the tank. I then started having problems. My ph then and now is too low (off the charts) which I can't seem to regulate even with the ph up, my ammonia levels are too high (off the charts on my quick dip tester). I was treating the tank with amquel and ammo lock, but the ammonia levels are still high. I have been doing water changes every other day 20% and the ammonia levels are still very high and the ph is still very low. I saw that my filter was not working proper so I bought a new filter that has been running for 6 days. After the 3rd day of running the new filter my tank was so cloudy and smokey, I can barely see anything inside my tank. My local pet store told me I am having a bacteria bloom. I am very concerned about losing any of my fish or frogs. I can't seem to get a handle on my ammonia level or ph and everyday it seems to get more cloudy and more smokey. What should I do? Can you please help me?
    Starman Posts: 1,308, Reputation: 135
    -

May 6, 2007, 10:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jmendez
    Hi my name Janet and I am having a crisis in my fish tank.

This article might help:
    Tank Problems: Cloudy Water
    beaver1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 24, 2009, 08:50 AM
    What are the sizes of your fish respectively?
    Usually the rule is 1" of fish per gallon of water.
    You may have too many fish.
    How frequently are you changing the water?
    Carbon in your filter?
    tmiles Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

May 31, 2010, 07:04 PM
    There are too many fish in your tank. Angels need 10 gallons per angel. Your other fish need roughly 1 inch per gallon of water. The other issue may be your filter. If you have an Aqua Clear filter, or a filter that requires you to remove the essential bacteria needed to create beneficial bacteria that help keep ammonia levels in check, you are going to have issues. Marineland makes the BIO Wheel filter, which allows beneficial bacteria to harvest on the whhel. You NEVER clean the wheel unless it stops working. You then would place the whhel back into your tank water to quickly rinse and then put it back on your filter. Your wheel should ALWAYS remain "gross" looking as that is the beneficial bacteria at work. With Angels, you will also want to use Reverse Osmosis water. It keeps your PH perfectly balanced and your Ammonia will be at 0, once you remove some of the extra fish in your tank.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bacteria that aids wound healing? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I have 2 questions. 1) I would like to know is there such thing as bacteria or other micro-organisms that are beneficial to wound healing? 2) Do all of these micro-organisms take in oxygen and give off carbon dioxide, like us? Are there any of them that has oxygen as the product of...

Bacteria [ 1 Answers ]

What is an example of some types of bacteria found in the temperate deciduous forest biome? K thanks so much!

Fish tank cloudy [ 6 Answers ]

All the typical teats come back normal (ammonia, nitrite,nitrate) but the water stays cloudy no matter the water changed or not. The fish tank is a 72 bow front with 4 fish 2 Amazon tiger catfish both about 8 in. 1 armor catfish and 1 pleco. I know the tank is not over stocked or over feed. Any...

Mia bacteria [ 4 Answers ]

Could someone please tell me what this is mia or could be mai bacteria and what the symthoms are

Bacteria-size mitochondria [ 1 Answers ]

In bacteria-size mitochondria, both plant and animal cells produce_____, expelling______ in that processes. Are ATP and water?

View more questions Search