Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dizzydez1103 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2007, 08:48 PM
    To buy or contract for deed?
    Hello
    I'm having a few questions on what I should do. My fiancé and I are wanting to get a new home to have for a long time. Well we had an offer to do a contract for deed with a lady we know. But I'm concerned if I should just wait and get a mortgage loan or go through with this ladys offer. My only issue with getting the mortgage loan is that my fiancé has bad credit and his income is the highest. My credit on the other hand is OK I don't have much credit established but its not negative but also I only work part-time and the other part I stay home with my son. When I contacted a lender about getting a mortgage loan she pretty much told me that if I personally had more income I could get the loan. But I'm not going to be getting more income for at least 3 more months and then I will have to establish that I will be getting more income for probably 3 more months, because I will be getting a better job offer. So I don't know which way I should lean on? Does anyone have any advice for me!! Thanks for your time
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 1, 2007, 08:56 PM
    There is nothing wrong with a contract for deed, I sell a lot of my houses that way. But I do it by selling the house at too high a price and getting way too much interest rate if you actually figured it. But when you sell it on contract I can merely name a monthly payment for so many years, since it is not a true loan.

So on a contract unless they are just nice, they are selling you the home with the entire idea and hope that you won't be able to keep making the payments, you get late and default and it merely changes it to a rental, you loose all your equity and they don't have to foreclose, they only evict you since you convert over to a rental. So you can and normally will lose you home a lot faster on a contract for deed than a real mortgage.
    ( depends on the contract and the person you are dealing with)

Next of course you have to hope the person you are dealing with is honest and will and has a clear title(deed) to transfer to you when you finish paying them off.

And if you use a mortgage broker, they can normally find a lender for almost anyone.

In the end you should investigate each and choose what is right for you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Contract for Deed, Please Help! [ 5 Answers ]

I have a situation, and could use some solid advice. I own a 2-family house in Missouri, and have been living in it for two years. I re-financed it last year, pulling cash out of equity. I now owe more on the house than I could hope to get in a *quick* sale. I plan to move to Texas in the next...

Contract for Deed [ 1 Answers ]

Under a Contract for Deed is the deed owner responsible for repairs while the house is being paid off.

Contract for Deed [ 4 Answers ]

Dear folks: I've been crawling through the site, and I wish I'd found you guys when I BOUGHT my house! Ah well... I have an offer on the sale though, please help. Forgive me for beating a horse that might already be dead, but I have an offer on my house with C2D and I have NO IDEA what I need...

Contract for deed [ 9 Answers ]

Hello, I am a seller who signed a contract for deed with the buyer about 18 months ago. This was his idea and also he prepared the form and all the requirements for it. I never knew such thing as contract for deed till he mentioned it. We also added in that contract for re-financing after 12...

Contract for deed [ 3 Answers ]

Selling and wondering what steps to take over and above my realtor? Thanks

View more questions Search