Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Aug 23, 2011, 02:57 PM
    The silliest article ever? A Christian Plot for Domination?
    The birthers have nothing on this woman. According to Michelle Goldberg, Michele Bachmann and Rick Perry are Dominionists plotting a theocratic takeover of the world (and now for the rebirth of theocracywatch).

With Tim Pawlenty out of the presidential race, it is now fairly clear that the GOP candidate will either be Mitt Romney or someone who makes George W. Bush look like Tom Paine. Of the three most plausible candidates for the Republican nomination, two are deeply associated with a theocratic strain of Christian fundamentalism known as Dominionism. If you want to understand Michele Bachmann and Rick Perry, understanding Dominionism isn't optional.

Put simply, Dominionism means that Christians have a God-given right to rule all earthly institutions. Originating among some of America's most radical theocrats, it's long had an influence on religious-right education and political organizing. But because it seems so outré, getting ordinary people to take it seriously can be difficult. Most writers, myself included, who explore it have been called paranoid. In a contemptuous 2006 First Things review of several books, including Kevin Phillips' American Theocracy, and my own Kingdom Coming: The Rise of Christian Nationalism, conservative columnist Ross Douthat wrote, “the fear of theocracy has become a defining panic of the Bush era.”

Now, however, we have the most theocratic Republican field in American history...
    Bwaa ha ha ha!

As Michael Gerson notes, the evidence for this paranoid nonsense and fear mongering is manufactured.

Perry admittedly doesn't attend a Dominionist church or make Dominionist arguments, but he once allowed himself to be prayed for by some suspicious characters. Bachmann once attended a school that had a law review that said some disturbing things. She assisted a professor who once spoke at a convention that included some alarming people. Her belief that federal tax rates should not be higher than 10 percent, Goldberg explains, is “common in Reconstructionist circles.”
    And we mustn't forget that Perry was actually videoed praying a couple of weeks ago so it must be true.

So, who's up for "the death penalty for homosexuality, abortion, and even apostasy"? Anyone?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Aug 23, 2011, 03:06 PM
    I'd personally like to see them attack the Muslims atheists and agnostics with the same vigor... that is unless they are really the partisan hacks with an anti-Christian agenda as they appear to be..
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Aug 23, 2011, 03:16 PM
    You have strange bedfellows there smoothy athiests, agnostics and Muslims are you saying they should attack all non Christians?
    Uber Member

Aug 23, 2011, 03:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    you have strange bedfellows there smoothy athiests, agnostics and Muslims are you saying they should attack all non Christians?
    Nope... but they would be attacking the other groups with equal gusto if they didn't have an agenda. Because all of those other groups have done as much if not more to attack them over. But its clear they hate Christians for some demented figment of imagination that festered in their twisted mind.

But its clear its just another liberal whack job pretending to be something else... not like THAT doesn't happen every other day at least. Not like they have many original thoughts.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Aug 23, 2011, 03:35 PM
    Never heard of Dominionism before today.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 23, 2011, 03:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    But its clear its just another liberal whack job pretending to be something else
    Actually, it's real, based on Joel 2 in which "end-times warriors" prepare the nation for God's judgment and, ultimately, Christ's return. This "new" movement, the New Apostolic Reformation, is one strand of neo-Pentecostalism that draws on the ideas of dominionism and spiritual warfare. Its adherents display gifts of the spirit, the religious expression of Pentecostal and charismatic believers that includes speaking in tongues, prophecy, healing and a belief in signs, wonders and miracles. These evangelists also preach the "Seven Mountains" theory of dominionism: that Christians need to take control of different sectors of public life, such as government, the media and the law. (the Texas Observer)
    Ultra Member

Aug 23, 2011, 04:31 PM
    Republican candidates are "dominionists" is as much concocted rubbish as the claim Obama is a Muslim.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 23, 2011, 04:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    Republican candidates are "dominionists" is as much concocted rubbish as the claim Obama is a Muslim.
    Only Perry and Bachmann.

quote from Perry: Both our nation and our Judeo Christian heritage are under attack by a force that is more dangerous than any threat our world has faced in recent memory. I am convinced that our ability to defeat the radical jihadists who threaten our nation will be significantly impacted by the prayers and leadership of America's evangelical pastors.

"Rediscovering God in America" was created to inspire people of faith to engage the culture and bring America back to our worldwide standing as a beacon of hope, a city shining on a hill.

Because God entrusted you to care for and lead His flock, you can play a key role in restoring God to the center of American life, thus strengthening our nation to confront this looming threat.

While Congress occupies its time trying to legislate defeat in Iraq, we hope you will attend a Pastors' Policy Briefing that will equip you to walk point in the war of values and ideas.(Going to War for God Texas Freedom Network)
    Ultra Member

Aug 23, 2011, 05:07 PM
    Any real sources besides TFN or Daily Beast ?

I'd like to see the people who make the charge square it with the fact that both Bachmann and Perry are opposed to a strong central government .The only way they are Dominionists is if they are lying about the rest of their political beliefs.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 23, 2011, 05:10 PM
    any real sources besides TFN or Daily Beast ?
    Well, they were direct quotes from him. Not sure how you can beat that, unless you, he, and I do a conference call.
    Ultra Member

Aug 23, 2011, 05:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Well, they were direct quotes from him. Not sure how you can beat that, unless you, he, and I do a conference call.
    Ah, so you think it's a legitimate threat? Bwa ha ha!
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 23, 2011, 06:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx View Post
    Ah, so you think it's a legitimate threat? Bwa ha ha!
    Huh?
    Ultra Member

Aug 23, 2011, 06:17 PM
    Like we Christians need to plot to take over the world?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 23, 2011, 07:43 PM
    I thought it was the be fruitful and multiple, we were to take over by pure numbers.
    Ultra Member

Aug 23, 2011, 09:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    I thought it was the be fruitful and multiple, we were to take over by pure numbers.
    Yes Chuck but I was thinking of all those unrighteous who are going to rush to put all that wealth in our hands, I'm just standing back waiting and I see it happening. I'll let them do all the hard work
    Ultra Member

Aug 24, 2011, 01:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Huh?
    What do you mean huh? You said "only Perry and Bachmann" are dominionists. No offense, but that's absurd, ridiculous, ludicrous, paranoid and a complete fantasy. Surely you don't believe it, it's too silly to believe.

Your quote of Perry is certainly not evidence of that. Calling on pastors to pray and lead their flocks isn't calling for a theocratic takeover. Apparently, unlike any other American if an evangelical Christian fights for their beliefs or - gasp - pray, it means we're trying to take over the country and subject everyone to old testament law and justice? That is not based in reality or rational thought.

Regardless, after all the scoffing and mocking over birthers and such I'm going to enjoy watching progressives panic over all their paranoid delusions about Bachmann and Perry.
    Ultra Member

Aug 24, 2011, 02:27 AM
    I still can't get over the contradiction. Both Perry and Bachmann believe in reducing the size and influence of the Federal Government . Yet they are now supposedly part of organizations that would impose a central theocratic dictatorship.
    Ultra Member

Aug 24, 2011, 04:33 AM
    Exactly, everything about this fantasy is a contradiction. Evangelicals are NT 'grace by faith' free will Christians looking to their spiritual King, not OT legalists seeking a theocratic political kingdom. I've said it what seems like a thousand times here, forcing my faith on someone goes against my religion.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 24, 2011, 05:46 AM
    I still can't get over the contradiction. Both Perry and Bachmann believe in reducing the size and influence of the Federal Government .
    Hello again, tom:

Me neither... But, I'm talking about your absurd allegation that they want to "reduce" the size and influence of the government...

NOTHING could be further from the truth... They both believe in a HUGE and unbelievably INTRUSIVE federal government. Oh, it's true, they want to limit the social side of government, but they want to EXPAND the COP side of government...

They LOVE the HUGE and unbelievably INTRUSIVE surveillance state. They LOVE the HUGE militaristic state. They LOVE the HUGE drug war state. They LOVE being the LARGEST jailer in the world. They LOVE intruding on EVERY woman in the country by planting THEIR presence in EVERY single doctors office to INSURE that women get ONLY the treatment THEY approve of.

Now, maybe they want to add a HUGE intrusive religious state to the mix. Sounds right to me.. These people don't understand the meaning of small government and freedom...

excon
    Uber Member

Aug 24, 2011, 07:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello again, tom:

Me neither... But, I'm talking about your absurd allegation that they want to "reduce" the size and influence of the government...

NOTHING could be further from the truth... They both believe in a HUGE and unbelievably INTRUSIVE federal government. Oh, it's true, they want to limit the social side of government, but they want to EXPAND the COP side of government...

They LOVE the HUGE and unbelievably INTRUSIVE surveillance state. They LOVE the HUGE militaristic state. They LOVE the HUGE drug war state. They LOVE being the LARGEST jailer in the world. They LOVE intruding on EVERY woman in the country by planting THEIR presence in EVERY single doctors office to INSURE that women get ONLY the treatment THEY approve of.

Now, maybe they want to add a HUGE intrusive religious state to the mix. Sounds right to me.. These people don't understand the meaning of small government and freedom...

excon
    Gee... just like the Democrats with Obamacare.. And their persecution of anyone who isn't marching lock-step with Obama and his goons?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

US-China tax treaty article 20(c) and article 19 [ 1 Answers ]

I came from China in 1998 on F-1 visa, graduated in 2005 and became a professor in a college, switched to H1B in 2006. I had claimed the $5000 tax-treaty benefit until and including year 2006. I paid tax and filed tax return as a regular resident alien for tax years 2007 and 2008. According to the...

Can anyone explain this article to me? [ 66 Answers ]

Can anyone explain this Bloomberg article to me? http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601070&sid=apv3pcTOWVjk Because based on my understanding, this plan by Obama would indicate rationing of Medicare. But that can't be... Obama said there wouldn't be any rationing. And we should...

Article 312.8 [ 5 Answers ]

Where Can I get a complete reading of Article 312.8 of National Electrical Code 2008?

Article 21 [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, Is there anybody out there that's familiar with article 21. (tax treaty) I came here in the US as J1 visa holder and based on that treaty I didn't have to pay tax for the first two years. so that's what I did, and on my 3rd year I paid my taxes, now my problem is the IRS just sent me a...

View more questions Search