Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Skyrocket Away Posts: 173, Reputation: 6

Aug 23, 2011, 02:56 PM
    Is the world going to end in 2012?
    I'm so serious when I ask this. I'm 20 years old and this honestly, scares me to no end. I have always been terrified by all these "predictions" about the end of the world. And due to recent tragedies(VA/NY/JAPAN Earthquakes, etc), it's got me more scared then ever. Is the world really going to end? Or are these things really common and I am just now noticing them because of all the hype of the end of the world? My husband thinks I'm over-thinking it, but I am truly scared.

Why are people saying the world is going to end? I mean, I understand that everyone is all, "the Myans predicted it." But does that have any hard facts or evidence behind it? Or was it poorly interpreted?

Do you/or anyone believe that it actually is? Can you please not give me hype or troll info such as "OMG YEAH! WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE!" type of stuff.
    Please understand that I am sensitive to this stuff, and only give me real answers, please?
    Skyrocket Away Posts: 173, Reputation: 6

Aug 23, 2011, 02:56 PM
    I'm sorry if this is in the wrong section. I didn't know where else to post it...
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 23, 2011, 03:12 PM
    No, the world is not going to end in 2012. There have been discussions for this ad nauseum on this site.. just do a search.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 23, 2011, 03:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyrocket Away View Post
    I'm so serious when I ask this. I'm 20 years old and this honestly, scares me to no end.
    When I was 20 (and younger), the Russians were going to kill us all. I grew up doing special (and too frequent) air raid drills at school. We'd have to "take cover" under our desks and put our hands over our heads, like that's going to protect us if a bomb drops??
    "the Mayans predicted it."
    That's a misunderstanding of their calendar system. They lived in cycles, not in a linear system like we do. One calendar cycle ends and another begins. 2012 is the end of a cycle.
    Do you/or anyone believe that it actually is?
    The world will end someday, but neither of us will be here to watch. Reminds me of a famous poem:

Fire and Ice
    by
    Robert Frost

Some say the world will end in fire;
    Some say in ice.
    From what I've tasted of desire
    I hold with those who favor fire.
    But if it had to perish twice,
    I think I know enough of hate
    To say that for destruction ice
    Is also great
    And would suffice.
    hauntinghelper Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 290
    Paranormal and Spiritual Interests

Aug 23, 2011, 04:02 PM
    Just because somebody makes a prophesy does not mean that they are correct OR accurate. As Wondergirl so wonderfully put it... it's a misunderstanding of the Mayan calendar and of course the media will eat it up. Nostradamus is so vague you can make it mean ANYTHING and this idiot who predicted the May 21st rapture of the church has a history of predicting things that don't come true. Don't take me wrong, I DO believe in prophecy and "end times" and I do believe the things we are seeing have been predicted and will, in fact, get worse. But before you believe everything you hear, consider the source. It is a terrifying time for humanity right now... and the earthquake today just goes to show they can happen anywhere and anytime... nobody is truly safe anymore. This is not an easy subject and does take study, discernment and common sense... the common sense part seems to be lacking in most people who talk about the end of the world. I might add that the only real fear of the "end times" should be in not udnerstanding it. When you realize that these things must take place and what is after them... it's not such a depressing subject.
    CliffARobinson Posts: 1,416, Reputation: 101
    Ultra Member

Aug 23, 2011, 04:39 PM
    Wondergirl gives the best answer! When I was a teen, it was the Russians and nuclear war. Haley's Comet was another. Anyone remember Y2K? We were going to be in the stone age at the stroke of midnight on Jan 1 2000.

There have been thousands of predictions of the end of times, end of the world, etc. etc. over the years, we just "survived" another prediction earlier this summer. Remember the billboards? Jesus is coming back, the rapture had a date?

There are enough things to be worried about in life than to worry about something you have no control over, which is the crux of worrying about such things. Take a deep breath, know that we are ALL in this journey together, and don't waste another second thinking about it. Live your life!
    yunes456 Posts: 0, Reputation: 1

Aug 23, 2011, 08:18 PM
    No its not going to end omg I sawre its annoyes me to death how people say its going to end and I'm not saying its not it could end in like 3 days it could end in like 3 hrs ahh don't worry its not :)
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Aug 23, 2011, 08:23 PM
    My wife believes in this stuff too heavily as well. She bases all her beliefs on the Mayan calendar and the fact that there are disasters happening. Well... the Mayan calendar never predicted the end of anything just as our calendar does not predict we will die on the 31st of December every year.

The disasters? Well, s*** happens. Right now though, people worry about it more because of the 2012 "predictions". Disasters always happen, and it is unfortunate that they do, but that doesn't mean we're all doomed.

My wife's final "proof" that we are doomed is that I am "prepared" for disaster. I have certain firearms and ammo and some supplies just in case something comes along. This is not my "end of the world" plan but simply a plan in case we are faced with a flood, an earthquake, a riot, aliens from space, zombie uprising... you name it. Things happen in this world and it is good to be prepared just in case but to sweat it out and let it rule your existence is not a good thing for you.

I think that when we hit January 1st, 2013, you will look back on this fear of yours and realize that you wasted your time on it. Just relax and learn to live. We'll be here in 2013 and beyond.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Aug 24, 2011, 07:36 AM
    Naw, not going to happen... waste of time to worry about it even it it does. Because there is nothing you can do to change anything by stressing over it.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 24, 2011, 07:48 AM
    is the world really going to end? Or are these things really common
    Hello Sky:

They're common. It's been even worse in the history of the world, and it's going to be worse again.

excon
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Aug 24, 2011, 07:52 AM
    As the World ended in May 2011 you are all a figment of my deranged imagination anyway ;)
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Aug 24, 2011, 08:25 AM
    If you look back over history, there is nothing new happening today that hasn't happened before. The reason it seems like there are more 'disasters' is due to global communications and faster means of travel making the world appear much smaller than it ever has. It also 'disasters' make the news.

What I like is that positive happenings from around the world make the news too and life goes on. Conjoined twins who were separated are celebrating their birthday. People are getting married. Babies are being born. A man saved a woman's life. A child adopted a dog. A woman adopted a cat (or the cat adopted her.) People survive cancer and other diseases that used to have very small survival rates.

When you feel overwhelmed about what could happen and all of the 'predictions' (accurate or not), look for the four-leaf clover. Smell a flower. Watch sunlight play on the leaves of a tree. Send a friend a smile. Hug your husband. Focus on the moment and what helps you feel alive and happy.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 24, 2011, 08:30 AM
    We heard in every newscast and saw hours of video footage about the East Coast and Colorado earthquakes yesterday. What no one mentioned is that there were also at least 1,600 earthquakes in other parts of the world yesterday. Like Cat said, one has to keep one's perspective and maintain common sense -- and look for all the good that's happening.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Aug 27, 2011, 08:23 PM
    In the following years there is going to be a definite change in the whole of mankind. There should be an opening of the mind for all us earthlings. We have a lot to look forward to.

Also, did you notice when that one earthquake hit the time has shifted and now it seems to me that time is passing much too fast. I have adjusted somewhat but every once in a while I find that that last hour (for instance) has passed by so quickly or the entire day just flew by.

The world won't end just like it didn't at the stroke of midnight December 31, 1999. Something WILL happen in 2012 and I feel it will definitely be an enlightening expience for all the inhabitants of this earth.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Aug 28, 2011, 06:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by CliffARobinson View Post
    Anyone remember Y2K? We were going to be in the stone age at the stroke of midnight on Jan 1 2000.
    I would like to address this real quick. The Y2K was real. It wasn't based upon fiction but upon science. The difference being that with a known threat you can deal with it on a level according to need. Most of the major systems that were running things were running on software that wasn't designed to last beyond 1999. Reality is that without the upgrades things would have crashed. It was a no brainer. Distribute an update and get it installed. That is what stopped the Y2K threat from reality. When the media caught wind of the situation that is when it was blown out of proportion. Our media gets more milage from fear then it does from reassuring the public it is safe. The hystaria that followed was that of legend. Lol
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

Sep 26, 2011, 11:44 PM
    The time has come for the old world to die and for those, who have made bloodshed and theft the final expressions of her last gasp, to die right along with it. We shall only mourn the extent of time that was given you to accomplish so much disaster and heartbreak. The invisible hand, inexorably moves for the golden handle on the cosmic toilet, flush once and give thanks. Aloha, psychopaths and miscreants, the Gates of Hell await you.

JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Sep 26, 2011, 11:59 PM
    I'm so serious when I ask this. I'm 20 years old and this honestly, scares me to no end. I have always been terrified by all these "predictions" about the end of the world. And due to recent tragedies(VA/NY/JAPAN Earthquakes, etc), it's got me more scared then ever. Is the world really going to end? Or are these things really common and I am just now noticing them because of all the hype of the end of the world? My husband thinks I'm over-thinking it, but I am truly scared.

Why are people saying the world is going to end? I mean, I understand that everyone is all, "the Myans predicted it." But does that have any hard facts or evidence behind it? Or was it poorly interpreted?

Do you/or anyone believe that it actually is? Can you please not give me hype or troll info such as "OMG YEAH! WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE!" type of stuff.
    Please understand that I am sensitive to this stuff, and only give me real answers, please?
    Well yes we all are going to die at sometime. Not all at once mind you. The thing is many people and organizations and religions have been predicting the end of the world since the beginning of time. Personally I believe certain times do involve in changes. For example many assume that 2012 is the end as predicted in the mYan calendar. The end of what exactly.

Your husband is right, your way way over thinking it. With the press gallery and all the news focused on the bad news. Media being at our finger tips of course things look bad, but what period did things not look bad.

We need not to worry what could happen. What we need to know and learn is to live each and everyday to the fullest. Learn to love one another and make a good impact on the world.

If it ends, it ends, but every single time, for probably the millionth time the predictions is just a way to put fear into people about something that is never going to happen, not in our life time anyway. Earth has thousands of more years left to go anyway or maybe even millions more. Who really knows, there is no guarantee with anything. Is there?
    feelingbad Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Dec 4, 2011, 10:07 PM
    From a biblical perspective we as people DO NOT know when the end will come... We are told in bible that the end will come and Christ will come like a thief in the night, upon his second return.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Will The World End In 2012? [ 12 Answers ]

Hello, I don't know if this would come into the subject of Science Fiction and Fantasy. Everybody at my school is saying "why are us kids wasting the last 3 or 4 years of our lifes in school?" Today, I asked one of them what it meant, and they told me all about it. They said that the myan tribe...

Is 2012 going to be the end of the world? [ 6 Answers ]

So I have been doing a lot of research about 2012. I find some websites that say it is not going to happen and some that say a bunch of stuff is going to happen. I am getting really nervous. I do not know what to believe anymore. Does anyone have any opinions about this? Am I over reacting about it?

Will the world end in 2012? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm not sure this is the right spot to publish this question, but here goes: Do you believe that the world will end in 2012? If so, why? If not, why not?

2012 end of world [ 18 Answers ]

The maya had this belief that they could tell time using a 13 moon counting system and they said that time would end on 21 of December of 2012 now then if you believe this then please put down why you think this if you don't believe like me then put down how and why I think this is fasanating to...

View more questions Search