Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 22, 2011, 08:49 AM
    Colt Commander Super 38
    I have just sold my Colt Commander Super 38 ( overseas edition that can be converted to a Lugerb 9 mil. ) for $1000.00. Did I get a good price?
    Thanks guys and if you ever have plumbing problems I'm your guy.
    Cheers, Tom
    Attached Images

Dr1757 Posts: 186, Reputation: 25

Aug 22, 2011, 08:55 AM
    Tom that sounds like a very good price. You can check it out on gunbroker.com and see what others are asking.
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Aug 22, 2011, 11:46 AM
    Hey there Tom,

You may or may not have got a good price for it. Really, it's going to depend on the exact model, condition, year, area that you live in. I see them on Gunbroker going from about $750 on up to crazy numbers. That doesn't mean they're actually being sold for that amount though, you know what I mean? As far as I'm concerned, when I sell a gun of mine, I check to see general pricing in the used range (checking Gunsamerica and Gunbroker first usually) and then I see what something comparable is selling for new. From that point, I come up with a general number of what I want for the gun. Selling to a dealer you will usually get less than you would selling to a private buyer. In this case, without having see the gun, I think you did fine in the sale.

Overall though, do you think you got a fair price? That's what really matters.
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 22, 2011, 12:20 PM
    Then gun is a scaled down 1911 Colt 45. Excellent condition no scratches or scuffs. I bought it from a Scottish national who purchased it over seas and only fired it at the range a few times. I kept it as am house gun until I decided to sell.
    I sold it to a collector for his collection. I did go on line and found a Colt Super 38 over seas edition for $1200.00
    And sold t for a thousand . I'm happy with but just wanted other opinions. Thank you all for your answers. Cheers, Tom
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Aug 22, 2011, 12:54 PM
    You did OK. Mostly so long as you sold it within a certain value range your fine I too believe that if I get a deal I also pass that deal on later. Its good karma to do that :)

Keep us posted on your next buy. Id love to see this board take off.
    Entomology Expert

Aug 22, 2011, 02:21 PM
    Id love to see this board take off.
    Me too! Not enough firearms discussions or questions going on around here! Lol

The gun is a scaled down 1911 Colt 45.
    I know that, silly. :p
    Great gun too. I love the Commander series much better than the standard full size 1911.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 22, 2011, 02:33 PM
    Seems like a good price, gun prices are so iffy at times, if you sell it to a private person, or to a dealer who is going to resale.

If you are happy then it was a good price, looks like retail is in the 900 to 1400 dollar, but again see them at 700 and see a few listed over 1800. ( perhaps the 1800 dollar one was famous for killing someone or something)

Nice gun, OK, I like the full size 1911 better.
    Entomology Expert

Aug 22, 2011, 02:38 PM
    Nice gun, OK, I like the full size 1911 better.
    LMAO! When I wrote my comment, I wondered if someone would have something to say about that. 1911's have such a loyal following.
    Internet Research Expert

Aug 22, 2011, 03:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by odinn7 View Post
    LMAO! When I wrote my comment, I wondered if someone would have something to say about that. 1911's have such a loyal following.

The 1911 is a format. It has many calibers, I have one in that format that's a 32cal. Looks just like the big brother only been hot washed . Lol
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Aug 24, 2011, 12:24 PM
    Years ago, I had the .45 Combat Commander w/Pachmeyers, Very Nice Weapon.
    Not sure the differences between that and the 1911?
    Entomology Expert

Aug 24, 2011, 12:36 PM
    Really it is a 1911 platform as the gun is very similar in appearance and identical mechanically. The only real difference is that it's a little smaller than the standard 1911.
    Internet Research Expert

Aug 24, 2011, 12:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratmando View Post
    Years ago, I had the .45 Combat Commander w/Pachmeyers, Very Nice Weapon.
    They would be the same weapon (1911) but the commander refers to the size of the weapon. Oficers models were usually a bit smaller as it made them easier to carry as well as most held 7 shots in the mag where most full size carry 8 in the mag.
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 24, 2011, 03:15 PM
    I had the .45 Combat Commander w/Pachmeyers, Very Nice Weapon.
    Sure looks to same to me. I have my Dads :Blue Jackets Manual" from the 1st. World War, It shows how to field strip a 1911. I used it to strip down my Super38.
    Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Where to get a colt M1911 custom? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi everyone, ironclad here! I want to buy a firearm for some old fashion lodge shooting with my bro, but I want to know where I can buy a custom colt M1911 for a reasonable price in Burlington VT? Or any places in range, I'm not to familiar with gunshops?? Any ideas?

97 mitsubishi colt head lights not working [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I av a 97 colt int a jap import and the full beams on the headlights aren't working witheir in the side lights on the tail lights or the dash lights I have changed the bulbs and fuses any help would be great

Having heavy & colt period [ 2 Answers ]

I my period late five days but for the two week I am having colt heavy bleeding

Super Shy in a Super Social environment [ 8 Answers ]

I am an 18 year old, Canadian Boy My problem is that I am a very shy person when it comes to speaking with adults, strangers, authorities, and for the most part all girls. The type of people I surround myself with are the so called popular group. Having all my friends in the popular group leaves...

View more questions Search