Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DeAnn713 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 21, 2011, 07:20 PM
    Inconsistent water temperature
    We are remodeling our bathroom and had the water (well system) turned off for 4 days. Once we turned the water back on, the water will start hot and then get cold in the kitchen. Here's where it gets weird: in the bathroom that has not been renovated, both the hot and cold faucets in the sink run cold. In the same bathroom, the shower is lukewarm unless you turn on the faucet for the hot water in the sink!

We are totally baffled.

A few more pieces of info:
    1) We replaced the entire hot water heater today and the same problems are going on.
    2) Our other bathroom is still under construction and the pipes are capped.

I am not sure if any of these things are related, but I wanted to give as much info as possible.

Please help! We would really like to save money and avoid calling a plumber out to our home. Thank you in advance!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 21, 2011, 07:47 PM
    Double check your pipes. It sure sounds like you have a cross connection somewhere in the new stuff. You might want to call in a plumber to check your work. Good luck, Tom
    DeAnn713 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 21, 2011, 08:03 PM
    Thanks for your answer. The strange thing is that the pipes to the kitchen and other bathroom were untouched. Also, the only plumbing that was done in the remodel was replacing part of a drainpipe to install a tub.

I just checked the bathroom that I referenced before and now it is doing exactly what the kitchen sink is doing: very hot water fading to lukewarm and then cool water.

Again, thanks for your answer!
    lilpoppa Posts: 118, Reputation: 13

Aug 21, 2011, 09:49 PM
    This is a fairly common problem when you work on an older system, especially with well water, loose sediment in your plumbing can cause some weird problems. Especially with certin styles of plumbing fixtures. I recommend that you dissasemble the valve bodies of the affected fixtures and flush the pipes. If this fails to remedy the problem you may have a cross connected pipe in your new work. Hope this helps
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 22, 2011, 07:14 AM
    very hot water fading to lukewarm and then cool water.
    Get a licensed plumber in to check your job. Some where you have a crossconnection that's feeding cold water into your hot water system. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Inconsistent water temperatures [ 5 Answers ]

The bathroom sink provides plenty of hot water but the shower/tub water is lukewarm at best. It's been gradually getting cooler--we used to get plenty of hot water from it. What's going on? Thanks.

Dirty tap water with inconsistent pressure [ 7 Answers ]

Over the past month or two there've been times when our water pressure has been almost non-existent. During the past couple of days I've noticed that the toilet water isn't clear (it almost looks as though I've put enough milk in to discolor the water). Today, because the water pressure was so...

Outside Temperature and Indoor Water Temperature [ 1 Answers ]

I just have a general plumbing question. I live in a 4 year old luxury apartment building downtown and we have had an issue with our water temperature for the past month. (there is no cold/cool water... it is all hot - out of all the faucets). The building management is trying to say that this is...

Water Temperature [ 2 Answers ]

What temperature should water be when it comes out of the faucet?

View more questions Search