Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Saltygoat Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 21, 2011, 06:11 PM
    Plumbing into a hot water tank
    Hello
    I have a regular Bradford White 50 gallon gas hot water tank and I want to have a heat exchanger plumbed into it.
    Is that possible and how would it be accomplished? Thank you
    Barry
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 21, 2011, 07:34 PM
    I've never installed a heat ehanger, Why install a heat exchanger where the temperature's only 120 degrees?
    However, In have installed them on a AC unit and piped to a water heater. I live in Florida where our ACs pretty much run all summer so a heat exchanger can save big $ on the electricity usage. Is that what you're asking about? Back to you Tom
    Attached Images

Aug 21, 2011, 09:39 PM
    Thanks for the reply.
    I am not sure how this thing works so I apologize if you get this three or four times.
    I want to hook up a heat ex-changer so I can heat a small pool.
    lilpoppa Posts: 118, Reputation: 13

Aug 21, 2011, 09:55 PM
    Sorry to tell you but a 50 gallon water heater doesn't produce near enough btu's to heat a pool of any size.

Aug 21, 2011, 10:08 PM
    It's 40,000 btu's and I want to heat 2400 gallons of water to 90 F.

I want to know if it's possible to hook up a heat exchanger to the tank while using it for normal domestic use.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 22, 2011, 06:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ;
    I want to heat 2400 gallons of water to 90 F.
    Then you're not looking for a puny AC to house water heater heat exchanger.
    What you need is a pool heater(see images) Kind of pricy but will do the job.
    Good luck, Tom
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why is new 50 gal. Hot water tank running out of hot water during a 14 minute shower? [ 4 Answers ]

Drip tube needed replacing in 4 year old 50 gal. tank so we did that but it did not fix the problem. With a full tank 1 person could have about a 7 minute shower as hot as you want it but then you have to start turning off the cold to make the shower go 15 minutes. Next we replaced the tank with...

Low hot water pressure to tub (only) after replacing hot water tank [ 1 Answers ]

I just replaced my hot water tank and installed a new one. Now, the hot water pressure in the shower/bathtub (only) is weak - all other faucets seem normal, and the cold water in the shower is fine. Water pressure was fine before I replaced the tank, the problems with the old one were that the...

Replaced a hot water tank,water is not going to the pressure tank-the pump stays on [ 2 Answers ]

Replaced a hot water tank, turned the pump on and the water is bypassing the pressure tank. The pressure tank will not fill up and the pump remains on and will not shut off. We do get water though but needs to shut off the pump so it will not burn out. Any thoughts? Thank you Any ideas will...

Plumbing - Hot Water Tank [ 1 Answers ]

I have very low hot water pressure (cold water is fine). I was wondering if there may be a lime build-up in the hot water tank line. How do I eliminate the lime from the hot water tank line?

View more questions Search