Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Scooter100 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 21, 2011, 05:58 AM
    Dealing with an abusive adult child
    In the past year my daughter has become more and more abusive. I gave her everything whilst at the same time trying to instill values in her. She now tells me to f-off and that I am F-ed... etc. For the last 10 years I have been working as a teacher and always do my best to support her. She has a learning disability and seems to choose the wrong boyfriends. She moved back home with me this year and the abuse got so bad that I just gave everything away and sold the rest for dirt cheap to escape her. She still does not have a job and blames her life situation on me. She is 25 and has had more opportunities given to her than most.

If I had not left then I never would have had any money left. Today I blocked her from speaking to me. I now have to get my own life back in order and rebuild financially. As long as she is around I will never be able to do that. My mother did a lot of questionable things but I believe that she always did her best and sure she made errors. I still love her and treat her with respect. Never in a million years would I tell my own mother to F-off or call her names to her face. Our parents should be treasured and treated with respect. When that respect is gone, I believe it is time to sever ties. We raised our children and did the very best that we could. Although I have severed ties for now; why do I feel guilty?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 21, 2011, 08:37 PM
    You feel guilty because you think you could have done more for here but didn't and I wish you wouldn't feel like that. It is not fair to you, she is not fair, but you must believe you are doing the right thing distancing yourself from her. She must be a very unhappy person and there is nothing you can say or do that will make her better if she is like that in her heart.

Tick
    Windanc Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Aug 21, 2011, 11:53 PM
    A couple of questions that you may have answered, but I'm tired: Is she still living with you? Do you provide her with any financial suport? Is her father involved with her life?

Trust me, I have a son, who, at present (at 31) is behaving irrationally and never had before so I can understand how lost and helpless you feel.

Thank you.
    lynz1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 11, 2011, 10:00 AM
    I have a 21 yr old daughter who is very abusive and critasises ali I do for her and call me and her 3 siblings terrible names,shouts ,keeps everyone awake at night(including her little sister who has to get up for school),I am scared of getting evicted because of hher.. she swears all the time and acts bigger than everyone.. like she has authority over everyone else... Her father left us when she was 4 yrs old,she was fine until she was 15 ,when she started going off the rails and walking out of school and skipping school,she acts strange and talks babyish,, talks to herself all the time and has physically hurt me too..

I am at the end of my tether... I cry all the time and I really don't know how to get help

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Abusive adult child [ 7 Answers ]

I am a mother of two children. Son is 25, daughter is 23. My son recently has become very violent and abusive to me and my husband. He has been abusive to his past girlfriend. They both were to each other. We allowed my son to move in after getting in trouble with law for his violence. He lost his...

Dealing with an abusive adult child [ 58 Answers ]

My daughter is 20 yrs old. I was divorced from her mother for 3 years. I'm recently re-married. My daughter is very manipulative and has caused major damage towards my wife and new family. She wants me to leave my wife so that she can control me the way her mother did for 20 years in a very abusive...

View more questions Search