Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shinbonebilly Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 21, 2011, 10:54 AM
    I receive SSDI. Can I still receive my 15 yo daughter's check if I sign over custody?
    I receive SSDI for myself and my 15 YO daughter. I just signed a court agreement to give her father custodial rights. She recently moved in with her father. Can I still receive her payments, or does he have the right to get her checks. What happens if it is not reported?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 21, 2011, 11:27 AM
    No of course not, you can't take the check,

If you get it by fraud, you will merely have to pay it back or go to jail.
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

Aug 21, 2011, 11:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by shinbonebilly View Post
    Can I still receive her payments, or does he have the right to get her checks.
    Children may be entitled as an auxiliary (dependent) on a disability beneficiary’s record. In this situation, the child is not disabled; the child is simply a dependent of a disabled worker. If her father is not entitled to SSDI , then she is not entitled to SSDI payments,too.
    If you continue to receive fraudulent obtained payments,you will be held in contempt of court or/and for fraud. Then you have to repay all + rate of interest... and even more-you may be jailed.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Aug 21, 2011, 11:46 AM
    You must report this new custodial aspect to the SSD folks and they should stop her check.
    Skill7D Posts: 9, Reputation: 2

Aug 22, 2011, 06:49 PM
    The child is still entitled to that check. It's called a dependent allotment. You should contact SSA and let them know she is now with her father. Otherwise as someone else said, you are committing fraud. SSA should automatically forward the check to the child's father.

When a noncustodial parent receives SSDI, the dependent allotment goes to the custodial parent and can take the place or supplement a child support payment. Your daughter is 15 and you've been raising her, so obviously you know how expensive raising a child is. You should contact SSA first thing and let them know so he can get that money.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 22, 2011, 07:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Skill7D View Post
    The child is still entitled to that check. It's called a dependent allotment. You should contact SSA and let them know she is now with her father. Otherwise as someone else said, you are committing fraud. SSA should automatically forward the check to the child's father.
    SSDI payment are made to dependents. If the child is no longer living with you over 50% of the time they would no longer be considered your dependent. Therefore, their award would cease.

As an aside to Skill7D, welcome to AMHD. May I suggest you spend some more time browsing around to see how this site works. Your other 2 posts were removed because they were responses to a 6 month old thread. Please make sure you check dates before responding. Also please make sure you verify the accuracy of your responses.

Aug 22, 2011, 07:10 PM
    ScottGem, Thanks for the heads up on the age of posts. Noted.
    As far as the dependent allotment, I understand that the name implies that is only for dependents. I also work for a child support agency, so I deal with this all the time. I'm not just pulling answers out of my backside. I'm here obviously on my own trying to help people because Child Support can be a very confusing process for most people.

From the SSA Website:
    "When you qualify for Social Security disability benefits, your children may also qualify to receive benefits on your record. Your eligible child can be your biological child, adopted child or stepchild. A dependent grandchild may also qualify.

To receive benefits, the child must be unmarried; and

be under age 18; or
    be 18-19 years old and a full-time student (no higher than grade 12); or
    be 18 or older and have a disability that started before age 22.

Normally, benefits stop when children reach age 18 unless they are disabled. However, if the child is still a full-time student at a secondary (or elementary) school at age 18, benefits will continue until the child graduates or until two months after the child becomes age 19, whichever is first.

Within your family, each qualified child may receive a monthly payment up to one-half of your full disability amount. However, there is a limit to the amount that we can pay your family members. The total depends on your benefit amount and the number of family members who also qualify on your record. The total varies, but generally the total amount your family can receive is about 50 to 80 percent of your disability benefit."
    Nothing about the child being a dependent
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 22, 2011, 07:32 PM
    Ok, a point for you. However, not saying dependent and not applying to a dependent are two different things. I couldn't find anything on the SSA site that specified what a qualified child means. So the OP needs to consult the SSA for clarification. If the child is entitled to continue benefits even if they are no longer living with the parent, then she is fine. If she continues to get benefits for the child when she isn't entitled would be fraud.

Aug 22, 2011, 08:03 PM
    She asks if she can still receive the payments or does the father have the right to the checks. The short, correct answer is he has the right to the checks, she does not. It's her biological child, that's what the SSA quote I posted said. The qualified child was also there, where it said the child must be unmarried and either under 18, 18 or 19 if still in high school or be disabled.
    I realize I'm new, but as I said this is what I've been doing for a living. I'm not going to post anything I'm not sure of and I'm not 100% sure, I will make that explicitly clear.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is it legal to receive child support payments and SSDI for dependants? [ 6 Answers ]

My ex husband began receiving SSDI payment as of March, 2009. He also had not made any child support payments in just as long, with his tax return in 2009 being the most recent payment, and the tax return from the year before that the next most recent payment. He emailed me a few days ago out of...

Can my taxes refund be garnish if I receive cash aid asistance I haven't receive no le [ 1 Answers ]

If I receive cash aid asistance in California does my baby daddy have to pay it back with taxes refund even dough they haven't notify me about any outsatnding balance??

How come I didn't receive my direct deposit - Stimulus Check? [ 32 Answers ]

Hi, I wonder if I'm the only one, but I was in the first group of those that should have received their stimulus check first (last 2 digits of SS# is 07). In 2007 I owed Federal taxes and paid via EFT. Does that have something to do with me not receiving my stimulus payment through direct...

Can You Receive SSI Every Month And Still Get SSDI? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am disabled and I receive an ssi check(623.00) a month.I have 4 kids. I worked some(not long) when I was a teenager.I am 26 years old and I was wondering if I qualify to receive SSDI.I need so much help with funds in this family.Two of my children have been diagnosed with a disability.One of...

View more questions Search