Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mwinesky Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 21, 2011, 06:44 AM
    I am trying to wire a 230v 50amp stick welder to my dryer plug, is this possible?
    The welder has 4 wires black,white,red and green. The dryer plug is 3 wire. The dryer receptacle is black, red,and white.please help!!
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Aug 21, 2011, 07:05 AM
    The dryer is likely 30 amps, sounds like the Welder needs 50 Amps. The wiring would be too small.
    A Permanent outlet should be installed with # 6's for your hots, and # 10 for ground.
    If this was a one time need for a welder, I might use my Range wiring and a receptacle that fits welder, then restore when done. Or a Temporary box at the panel. Location is the Key.
    machinedespair Posts: 8, Reputation: 2

Aug 21, 2011, 06:32 PM
    Check the tag on the welder make sure it is not 3 phase.
    Your house is single phase power.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I have a VFD input 230V 28.5A... out put 230V 10A 3phase, what breaker & wire gauge? [ 4 Answers ]

I inherited a 1972 Unisaw 3hp 3Phase motor. I have a 30 amp breaker going to my detached garage with a sub panel of 4 15amp breakers. The VFD to run the saw has an input of 230V single phase 28.5amps (I am not sure if this is the correct amount of amps, seems kind of high) and an output of 230V...

Wiring 230v welder has 2 wires and ground which one is hot? Both are same coloc [ 1 Answers ]

Just bought older welder. Instead of plug it has two black wires and a post for the ground. Welder requires 230v 60hz single phase. I have a standard 220 outlet

Change 4 wire dryer plug to 3 wire plug [ 1 Answers ]

How to change a 4 wire dryer plug to a 3 wire plug

Wiring an outlet for 230V welder? [ 7 Answers ]

My building is 3 phase. How do I go about wiring a 230V receptacle? (1 phase) It is the Hobart 187 Mig. Do I need to put a brand new circuit in and wire in a new receptacle? The 3 phase/1phase has me confused. I bought the building off my uncle. He said there is a 220v outlet in here but he pulled...

220v 50a welder, 220v 30a dryer plug [ 1 Answers ]

I just got an arc welder that is 220v 50a. I thought I could plug it into the 220v receptacle in my garage, not realizing how many different types of 220v plugs and amperages there are. The receptacle in my garage turns out to be a 220v 30a dryer plug. My question is can I just change the...

View more questions Search