Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    summersong Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 20, 2011, 05:50 PM
    My Boyfriend is Immature
    My boyfriend and I have been going out for a couple of months now. I'm heading off to college pretty soon but I'm especially worried about the condition of our relationship. See the hint is my boyfriend is really sweet but he has an immature side to him, where he will make inappropriate comments about eve the littlest things. Most of the time the comments he'll make are sexual jokes, and even though he finds them so funny they do actually make me quite uncomfortable. How do I tell him to stop or dial it down without coming off as a total preacher? Also he finds it funny to "pretend" to act like a jerk and will "pretend" to boss me around and say things to piss me off, however I know he doesn't mean it, it just irritates me all the same. What should I do?
    phillysteakandcheese Posts: 973, Reputation: 356

Aug 20, 2011, 06:53 PM
    With his personality, I would expect that no matter how you put it he will put up a show where he both "pretends" to be a jerk about it and is also really a jerk about it.

Sometimes people make inappropriate comments because they just miss the boat on the situation and don't realize their poor judgment.

Your boyfriend might "pretend" to be a jerk because it's an easy way to mask how he really feels, and can say something disparaging and call it a joke.

It's tough to have a "real" conversation with people like this sometimes since you don't know what they are really trying to communicate.
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Aug 20, 2011, 08:40 PM
    Sit him down. Tell him that you need to tell him a few things that are making you uncomfortable, and it is affecting the way you feel about him.

Then tell him.

Exactly what you said here. Give him examples. I wouldn't presume that he doesn't know exactly what he's doing. He likely doesn't repeat the same to his mother, teacher, banker or minister.

Maybe he is nervous, or shy, or as you suggest, immature. Maybe he is a jerk, and has been this way all his life and won't change, or can't change.

I would give him a chance, with first being totally honest about what you have said here. Just tell him. You will know soon enough whether he is the one for you, and worth more investment in developing a relationship.
    BK201 Posts: 338, Reputation: 150

Aug 21, 2011, 03:51 AM
    Agreeing to what Jake2008 says, also, don't give in until he listens to you seriously. These kind of false prudence or bossy boys won't listen until you boss them / let them know that you are so serious which might even lead to a break up. Actually they are timid and afraid of losing you if they really love you.
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Aug 21, 2011, 05:14 AM
    How old is your boyfriend?

When you 'head off to college' will this become a long distance relationship? I ask because it may affect how much more energy you want to put into a very young relationship.

I do think you need to talk to him and explain how you feel about his jokes. Don't ask him to change for you, but because he sees there is line of good behavior he is crossing. If he tries to change for you, then you become the 'boss' and 'controlling' and possibly the target of more immature behavior whether you are there or not. It is not a good foundation for a relationship if one person feels like a parent and the other is acting out like a child.

Many times people don't realize how quickly their behavior crosses over into being 'too much' especially if they are playing around with friends. If this is the case with your boyfriend, you might see if the two of you can come up with a signal for you to give him when he is getting out of hand.

If you feel like you are getting frustrated and upset with him and talking hasn't changed anything, walk away. Part of dating is finding out if the person has traits you like and those you don't. If the negative traits outweigh the positive, it is time to accept the person isn't a good match for you.

Good luck.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 21, 2011, 08:24 AM
    Or he is a jerk and perhaps you should consider a new boyfriend

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Attack Of The Immature Ex-Boyfriend [ 3 Answers ]

My ex-boyfriend and I dated for about 5yrs and I dumped because he was to immature for me. I told him once he grew up a little bit I'd give him a second chance. One year later I bought he had changed but then realized he never would. So now he won't stop talking about me on the Internet and to his...

How to deal with an immature ex boyfriend [ 2 Answers ]

I am 16, my ex is 20. We broke up a month ago (I broke up with him). We had only been dating 3 months.. Well now he is facebooking me, texing me, spreading rumours etc. He is being super childish. Ive deleted/blocked him on Facebook, and am changing my number as soon as my telephone...

Immature Boys [ 9 Answers ]

I'm having trouble talking to guys in my age range(13-16). They all seem to be SO immature and unable to hold an intelligent conversation. I'm aware it's not healthy to talk to guys so much older than I am but it seems like I can't talk to guys my age. I know I'm not the only one suffering because...

Socially immature [ 2 Answers ]

Good Evening, I've always been different and never fit in. I grew up in a rural area and was teased by everyone in school primarily because I talked like a "girl". I remember purposely being in trouble and sent to detention just so I wouldn't have to be alone at recess or break. I couldn't...

Is this really immature or is it just me? [ 2 Answers ]

At school there's this girl. She really liked me for about 4months and I didn't have any feelings for her. Within the last week I ask out a completely different girl from the year bellow. And now the 1st girl is saying people want me bashed. And one of her friends who is my best friend says she...

View more questions Search