Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    David2 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 20, 2011, 02:14 PM
    American express debt trial date
    I have a trial for debt on my American express card for $12,000.00 I am unemployed my wife is.(thank god)
    The card is on my name only. She has her own card. We live in California which considered common property. How do I make sure they will not garnish her wages. I don't trust there sleazy lawyers. I am sure they are angry with me I was able to set aside the judgment.
    I heard from a lawyer that they have an arrangement with the government. Anyone heard it too ?

twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Aug 20, 2011, 03:12 PM
    Lawyers don't get angry - they get even. I'll wager they will try to garnish her wages or put a lien on your property if you have one. Didn't hear anything about arrangement with government. You can't "make sure" they don't garnish her wages - no such thing. Sorry.

They will send you financial interrogatories in which case you will have to disclose all your assets.

If you are so freaked out about AE coming after your wife's salary, have you explored the bankruptcy laws to see if you can dodge these bill collectors and lump in any more unpaid debt at the same time?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

A trial date for debt with American express [ 2 Answers ]

I was able to set a side a judgment.now the judge set a trial date. My issue is I am unemloyed my wife is. If I lose how can I stop them from not garnish my wife's wages the card was on my name only.

I am being sued by American Express [ 4 Answers ]

I just got served a summons saying I am being sued by American Express Centurion Bank for $24,610.93. The paper says I have 30 days from January 7th to file a written response to be given to the plaintiff. I just received this summons today, though on the document they have it stamped as January...

American Express [ 23 Answers ]

I have an credit card account with American Express that was opened up several years ago while still married to my (now) ex-husband. During the divorce, I had to ask American Express to close the account because the ex kept trying to use it! After the divorce, I called them to try to change my...

American Express [ 2 Answers ]

Hello everyone:) I was recently contacted by Nationwide Credit, Inc. in regards to my debt with American Express. I was finally able to work out a payment plan with NC, Inc. They took their first payment on 5/27/09. About 2 weeks later another collection agency (Palisades Collection) starts...

Credit Card debt - trial date 3 July [ 6 Answers ]

My trial is set for tomorrow and the collection attorneys are still calling and leaving messages that they want to file a joint agreement to extend as they need more time to find documentation. I have just received a message from the judges's office saying that the trial set for tomorrow will...

View more questions Search