Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    zanderbaxa Posts: 62, Reputation: 1

Aug 19, 2011, 12:52 AM
    Are absorption lines shifted in the Red-Shift phenomena?
    When the light is analyzed from distant stars, do the Red-Shifts include atomic absorption lines being shifted too? Is the amount of Red-Shift measured, show differences in atomic absorption lines?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Aug 24, 2011, 07:21 PM
    Yes - absorption lines are shifted if the star is moving relative to us. This is a good techniques for determining the relative motion of a start, But when you're looking at light from a galaxy that is far enough away to show appreciable red shift due to Hubble's constant you can't really pick out one star's spectra, because the galaxy is too far away to resolve a single star from the masses of other stars in the galaxy. So you tend to see a sort of averaging of spectra from many stars in that galaxy, and hence absorption lines can get smushed out a bit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Red lines on TV screen [ 2 Answers ]

Hello: I have a 57" Sony HD ready TV. It is aprox. 5.5 years old and it started showing horizontal concave red lines on the screen when watching a TV program or cd movie. Is this something that I should be worrying about and start saving money for a new TV, or is there a fix for this. Doubt it....

Baird 37' TV model, when turned on I get vertical red lines on the screen. [ 0 Answers ]

It's been to a local TV repair man who said he had fixed the problem and I parted with £110.00. Since then it's been back a second time and although it's a bit better, you still get lines on screen for a short time. Thanks Dave.

Laminate floor has shifted by 1/2 [ 4 Answers ]

My father installed a laminate floor in my living room and dining room in July 08. Although he does not do this as a profession he has done it before I had confidence in his skills. He left 1/2 gap the whole way around between the floor and the baseboard (we decided to install the floor after the...

View more questions Search