Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Aug 18, 2011, 06:41 AM
    Quotes with in quotes.
    I am doing some minutes from an exec meeting last week which needs to be recorded verbatim, and I need to have quotes with in a quote. Example: Joe stated "The money is provided on quartly basis, I will read from our last year’s financial statements "in 2004 was 63 mil and by 2010 they now had 105 mil in net value after debt. Joe explained that the blue bars underneath it showed the annual contribution that was made to that. He explained that they went from 6.7 million to 1.5 to 3.8 to 7.2 in 2009 recorded at 14.2 mil because of a change in accounting. He reminded the table that they had to bring all of those assets to the books that were contributed through government programs and government contributions.

What is bolded is a direct quote from "Joe" while what is in italics is a quote from a (hypothetical) financial statement. How do I correctly record this?
    albear Posts: 1,594, Reputation: 222
    Ultra Member

Aug 18, 2011, 06:54 AM
    Example:

Joe stated "The money is provided on quartly basis, I will read from our last year’s financial statements "

(in 2004 was 63 mil and by 2010 they now had 105 mil in net value after debt. Joe explained that the blue bars underneath it showed the annual contribution that was made to that).

He explained that they went from 6.7 million to 1.5 to 3.8 to 7.2 in 2009 recorded at 14.2 mil because of a change in accounting. He also reminded the table that they had to bring all of those assets to the books that were contributed through government programs and government contributions.

I'd present it like that as it isn't part of the conversation Joe had or part of what happened afterward, its just a side note.
    Dogs Expert

Aug 18, 2011, 06:57 AM
    Ahhh! You are so smart! Seems so simple. Lol.
    albear Posts: 1,594, Reputation: 222
    Ultra Member

Aug 18, 2011, 07:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurora_Bell View Post
    Ahhh! You are so smart! Seems so simple. Lol.
    No worries Bella, I'm sure others will have better suggestions,
    But thanks for the ego boost anyway :o
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 18, 2011, 08:03 AM
    You could do it several ways. Albear's is good. Single quote marks go inside double quote marks. --

Joe stated, "The money is provided on quarterly basis. I will read from our last year’s financial statements: 'in 2004 was 63 mil and by 2010 they now had 105 mil in net value after debt.'"

Joe explained that the blue bars underneath it showed the annual contribution that was made to that. He explained that they went from 6.7 million to 1.5 to 3.8 to 7.2 in 2009 recorded at 14.2 mil because of a change in accounting. He reminded the table that they had to bring all of those assets to the books that were contributed through government programs and government contributions.

OR (not as good)

Joe stated, "The money is provided on quarterly basis. I will read from our last year’s financial statements: in 2004 was 63 mil and by 2010 they now had 105 mil in net value after debt.

Joe explained that the blue bars underneath it showed the annual contribution that was made to that. He explained that they went from 6.7 million to 1.5 to 3.8 to 7.2 in 2009 recorded at 14.2 mil because of a change in accounting. He reminded the table that they had to bring all of those assets to the books that were contributed through government programs and government contributions.
    Dogs Expert

Aug 18, 2011, 08:07 AM
    Thank you WG.

Oh, and I do know that my title is supposed to be within, but I hit send and it was too late.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 18, 2011, 08:23 AM
    Oh, and I do know that my title is supposed to be within, but I hit send and it was too late.
    What title?
    Dogs Expert

Aug 18, 2011, 09:18 AM
    The one for this thread.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 18, 2011, 09:22 AM
    The one for this thread.
    The mistake makes the title an attention getter. ;) (Always do a positive spin.)
    Dogs Expert

Aug 18, 2011, 09:23 AM
    I like the way you think!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

He think I'm fat quotes [ 20 Answers ]

I've been with my man for 4 years. We are definetely in love. He really care for me. He has a problem with my weight, my height, how I talk, how I think, and more... OK so I'm only 5' 2 and weight 130, he thinks I'm too fat and criticize me all the time. I can't eat in front of him because he will...

Quotes [ 13 Answers ]

What is your favorite quote or tagline and why?

Need Quotes [ 2 Answers ]

I'm trying to make some cute christmas gifts by having shirts made from an online site, but I'm stumped on what to put on them. On mine the front will say, Because... And the back will say, I'm the Bride and That's Why I'm looking for one of the mother of the bride (my mom) thought about...

? About quotes [ 8 Answers ]

Hi , I am new to the new construction cleaning business and want to know if anyone can tell me if when the quote for a job by sq footage , is the garage included, or should be included/? Doing a job now and his quote did not add garage which is an extra 800sq ft. this doesn't seem right , that he...

Quotes from around [ 3 Answers ]

Sarcastic Quotes » Sometimes I need what only you can provide: your absence. - Ashleigh Brilliant » It's always darkest before it turns absolutely pitch black. - Paul Newman » It's a catastrophic success.

View more questions Search