Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    xania Posts: 8, Reputation: 2

Aug 16, 2011, 04:42 PM
    Should I act like I'm moving on when I see my ex?
    He broke up with me a week and a half ago. I have to see him because I need to get some mail from him that I received to his house, and I really want him back. However, saying so and acting like I want to be with him again might push him even further away. Right?
    I just plan on hugging him hi like an old friend, and being nice to him but not mentioning anything about us. Maybe after a while we can become friends, and if we can get back together, great. What do you think? I'm seeing him tonight.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Aug 16, 2011, 05:47 PM

I think you fill out a change of address, so you don't have to see him, and until that takes effect, say hi, get your mail, and leave. No need for tea & Torture is there. No hugs, no games, no nothing.

Do you really need your mail everyday?
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Aug 16, 2011, 05:49 PM

Unless he wants to rekindle the relationship, which if he's the one that did the breaking up I would think he probably doesn't, I would leave things be. I wouldn't even hug him. Be polite, get your things, and go. Don't stop for small talk. Maybe someday you'll be friends again, but for now I think it's best if you just go no contact and not get your hopes up. Don't just pretend to move on, actually make an honest, true effort to move on.

Aug 16, 2011, 05:56 PM
    I didn't say I saw him everyday. It's only for important mail. I have to have a permanent address in town and they won't allow me to use the one at my college. If I get stuff sent home, I'll miss my deadlines.
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Aug 16, 2011, 06:19 PM

Can you afford a post office box?

Can you make arrangements for the mail to be picked up by a friend?

Be polite and that is all. He is a new ex not an old friend.

Even if you did get back together sometime in the future it should be after both of you have healed and are ready to work through the issues which caused the break up. You can't go back so give yourself time and tools to move forward.

Aug 16, 2011, 06:25 PM
    You're right, Cat. I'm just struggling to even move on period. I'm struggling to refrain from picking up the phone and telling him I want him back, that it'll work, that we should actually try and it's worth it. I feel like I can't move on, like I won't. It's like my feelings refuse to let him go. I feel like I will never be able to heal. It's still soon, I know... but I don't see an end to this anytime soon. I hate hurting like this but at the same time, I don't want to give up hope of being with him. What do I do?
    Expert

Aug 16, 2011, 06:31 PM

In case others have not read her other post for background:

Quote by Xania,
    By the way, I'm 21, and he's 28. The breakup was rash and for reasons that can be easily fixed. I think the problem mainly lies with him, which is why I want to cool it for a month and avoid calling him or texting. He is scared of becoming too emotionally involved with someone, and has a hard time receiving love and affection. I'm his first real, normal relationship (just friends with benefits and infatuations well before me) and everything was great. There were a few little things, but there always are in relationships.
    Just a thought, what did you do about your mail before, and what would you do if he told you to stop having it come to his address? You need a plan, one that takes care of your mail, and stops you from thinking he is coming back.

You need a plan that allows you to cut him out of your life completely, because that's what you do when you get dumped, for whatever reason. The sooner the better. Have you no friends who would take your mail?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 16, 2011, 07:56 PM

Yes, have him leave it with a third party for you to pick up and find a new place for it to go.

No hugs or pretend, when you do see him

Aug 16, 2011, 08:04 PM
    Thanks, everyone. For now, having him just hand it to me will work. Better yet, slipping it under my door would work. (I receive packages at school). For some reason I can't access most of the relationship stickies... anyone know why that is? I keep getting an "Oops! This page is not available for viewing."
    Expert

Aug 16, 2011, 08:22 PM

Get answers from Relationships

Try this link, it may well be the "skin" you use. Let me know.
    kcomissiong Posts: 1,166, Reputation: 276
    Ultra Member

Aug 17, 2011, 07:24 AM
    Just my tow cents to what everyone else has added. If you have to act like you are moving on when you see your es, then you aren't ready to see him. Ask him to stick your mail in a large envelope, and send it to you. Contact with him sounds like such a bad idea when you are still in a vulnerable state.
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Aug 17, 2011, 02:59 PM
    No matter what you do, keep your dignity.

I know it seems as if you simply cannot live without THIS guy, but you'll be just fine. I promise.

If it's meant to be, then it will. For now, go concentrate on you.

Good luck to you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Would the Substitute Decisions Act or the Trustee's Act apply?(Ontario) [ 0 Answers ]

This is an estate dispute between two trustees. The "misappropriation of funds" in question occurred in 2000, when the two trustees had joint/several power of attorney of the deceased. At that time, the one trustee knew of the possible misappropriation but chose to not take any action in the...

View more questions Search