Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Daniellemann Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 15, 2011, 02:57 PM
    Critical Thinking Fallacies
    What types of fallacies are the following statements?

"If it weren't for the president's environmental policy, we wouldn't be dealing with these environmental catastrophes."

"From a conspiracy theorist: 'Come on, everyone knows that the government has lied to us in the past. This case isn't any different.'"

"My friend, who goes to college in another state, said girls from that sorority are mean. That girl we just met, Tracy, is from the same sorority, so I don't trust her."
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Aug 15, 2011, 03:03 PM
    And what do YOU think ?

We Won't do you homework for you, but will offer advice and assistance ONLY.
    TUT317 Posts: 657, Reputation: 76

Aug 15, 2011, 08:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniellemann View Post
    What types of fallacies are the following statements?

"If it weren't for the president's environmental policy, we wouldn't be dealing with these environmental catastrophes."

"From a conspiracy theorist: 'Come on, everyone knows that the government has lied to us in the past. This case isn't any different.'"

"My friend, who goes to college in another state, said girls from that sorority are mean. That girl we just met, Tracy, is from the same sorority, so I don't trust her."

Number 1. is of the type If A then B; B therefore A.

Number 2. is an attempt to firstly discredit the person being talked about.

Number 3. is of the type. My friend believes X to be true. Therefore X is probably true.

I hope these clues help.

Tut

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How does fallacies impact critical thinking [ 3 Answers ]

Why is it important to recognize fallcies in your own writing? How does this impact critical thinking?

Critical Thinking Fallacies [ 33 Answers ]

We can recognize that athlete participated in sports must be given a special consideration within our grading system, or we can let the university sink into athletic oblivion. What type of fallacy is this?

Fallacies for critical thinking [ 3 Answers ]

Which fallacy would best fit this statement; "It takes someone with a really big heart to give to our charity, and you seem like someone who cares more than most."?

Critical Thinking [ 2 Answers ]

How do I understand what critical thinking means? I am not grasping the concept of critical thinking.

Critical Thinking --- [ 2 Answers ]

Argument One: You are about to enter University. One of your parents wants you to study for a Business degree, but you are interested in Arts. Your other parent thinks it is better to let you take the decision by yourself. Weigh the pros and cons of such a decision, choose one side and explain...

View more questions Search