Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    robotics Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 13, 2011, 10:26 AM
    Custodial parent let 14 yr old quit school. Child is 16, lying about home school
    Custodial parent in Williamsport, Indiana PERMITTED 14 yr old daughter quit school. Now she's 16, and they're lying about home school AND PRIVATE SCHOOL EDUCATION. (1)They do not have internet access/ educational books or enough education or skill to provide home school education. (2) Isn't it illegal not to provide the minor child with an education so they can take care of themselves? (3) Called the school and they say nothing can be done and there's no follow up when a parent says they're providing home school education and they cannot challenge that answer even when it is reported as a factual statement. (4) Called CPS 4 times, nothing was done. (5) There is NO EDUCATION AND HASN'T BEEN in 2 Years! (6) Are we completely ignorant and out of touch with reality? The brotherf of the 16 yr old is 21 and in and out of jail lives in the same house and does't work.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Aug 13, 2011, 10:31 AM

What is your real question here? Your bouncing all over. Is there an endpoint you want to be reached ?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Aug 13, 2011, 10:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by robotics View Post
    ... Called the school and they say nothing can be done ... Called CPS 4 times, nothing was done. ...
    Assuming you are the other parent, it appears that the only thing left to do is file a motion with the court to change primary physical custody and see if you can do the parenting job any better.

... The brotherf of the 16 yr old is 21 and in and out of jail lives in the same house and does't work.
    So? What does this fact have to do with the prevailing amount one has to pay for Earl Gray in Peking?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 13, 2011, 02:06 PM

First home school is a very good and done by millions.
    So in court you will have to prove they are not following the actual home school rooms for your state.

In most states, they have to register with the local school board, in some every couple of years they have to take one of the national tests.

If you an prove in court, that the child is neglected, you file for custody and fight for the child
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 13, 2011, 04:21 PM

There ARE requirements for home schooling in Indiana. Part of them spelled out in the Compulsory School Attendance Law.

Basically, the only requirement is that the child must attend 180 days of school and the home school parent must be able to produce records of that attendance. So you can get the school to require the CP to produce such a record.

So the bottom line is you need to define what you want to do now.

Aug 14, 2011, 12:21 PM
    The father has a criminal record and this would not be a feasible, intelligent solution. Unless you're a rock, any relative or person watching this mess can see something needs to be done.
    Expert

Aug 14, 2011, 01:32 PM

Please understand, this is the legal section, we can feel sorry for you, we can wish it was different but if you want someone to say, poor you, and tell you that everything will be OK, go to the relationship boards, This is legal boards and your answers here will deal with legally what your options.

Legally the options are to get children services involved and/or go to family court to have custody changed.

Aug 14, 2011, 01:57 PM
    No pity requested or needed, I'm not a pity seeker. I'm sorry that you didn't notice in my first post that I said that I'd contacted CPS personally numerous times and nothing was done. This family DOES NOT have anyone qualified to do that type of home school program and this girl has never attended school 180 days a year and actually missed at least 2 days per week since the 3rd grade. The local school does not have a truancy officer and the principal told me unfortunately they are not required to check when a parent says the child is home schooled in Indiana, HIPPA doesn't allow it. The mother works part-time at the school as a cook. I do know the mother told them she was sendng her to a private christian school last year but it never happened, there has been no education for two years and people know about it and haven't done anything. I'm bringing this issue forward because it cannot be an isolated case
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Aug 14, 2011, 02:12 PM
    No pity requested or needed, I'm not a pity seeker. I'm sorry that you didn't notice in my first post that I said that I'd contacted CPS personally numerous times and nothing was done. This family DOES NOT have anyone qualified to do that type of home school program and this girl has never attended school 180 days a year and actually missed at least 2 days per week since the 3rd grade. The local school does not have a truancy officer and the principal told me unfortunately they are not required to check when a parent says the child is home schooled in Indiana, HIPPA doesn't allow it. The mother works part-time at the school as a cook. I do know the mother told them she was sendng her to a private christian school last year but it never happened, there has been no education for two years and people know about it and haven't done anything. I'm bringing this issue forward because it cannot be an isolated case
    Are you related to the child in some way or an outsider looking in? Also what exactly do you want to do with this given situation? Are you trying to help the child? Change the law? Hoping for custody? Remove the child from the situation?

Your post isn't clear on your objective. We get what is going on. But what do you want to do about / with it ?

Aug 14, 2011, 02:19 PM
    I'm a relative and would like to see her removed from the situation. That's the reason I contacted CPS first and why I did it so many times. Otherwise, I think she has a terrible future ahead.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 14, 2011, 06:59 PM
    The local school does not have a truancy officer and the principal told me unfortunately they are not required to check when a parent says the child is home schooled in Indiana, HIPPA doesn't allow it.
    The principal is not being forthcoming with you. As I showed by the law, they certainly can check, but they aren't required to. But HIPAA has nothing to do with it.

Aug 14, 2011, 07:06 PM
    Scott, I appreciate knowing that you can check on kids that are supposed to be home schooled. Thank you so much! Yes, he said HIPPA doesn't allow it and in Indiana, they aren't required to check. However, he could but it's too much work to do it. What a crock.
    Expert

Aug 15, 2011, 10:50 AM

If he said HIPPA, then he is lying, since HIPPA is only about medical records.

Of course if you are not the parent with legal custody, or if the custody agreement does not give you any authority over education, the school can not give you any info anyway, without a court order.

Next the principal has no records, records are not sent to local school principals, but are filed normally with the school board.

Parents have to file a one page form, once a year to certify that the children have gotten the required days of education. There is no record at the school or school board, what days those are. Merely that it was done.

Home school children do not report to the principal or to the school board, except to notify them they are home schooled. Grades, classes and the such are all keep and recorded by the parent.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can we prevent the non-custodial parent from checking kids out of school? [ 9 Answers ]

My husband has three children who live with us and go to school in our school district. They use to live with their mother one week and us one week last year but when their mother lost her job, lost her place to live and their sep-father was arrested for domestic violence against her and the...

Custodial parent gave child to Non Custodial Parent now wants him back? [ 2 Answers ]

My husbands ex called us back in October and said that she could no longer handle their son (he is 7) and she was afraid she would "snap" one day and hurt him so we moved him in with us. My step son calls his mom on a daily basis he is doing better in school, and as a family have started...

Can non custodial father watch child while mother is in school? [ 1 Answers ]

Does a non custodial father have the right to take care of his child because the custodial mother decided to go attend college? Custodial mom does not have a good relationship with non custodial father. Custodial mom wants her elderly grandparents to take care of a 20 month old child. Is there...

Can the custodial parent get in trouble for lying on child support documents? [ 2 Answers ]

Can the custodial parent be charged with fraud for lying on the court documents stating her expenses and income? She has listed that she pays daycare for a 12 year old that babysits her other children to a family member. Also I believe the amount she listed to her new husbands income is lower...

Can I quit school to be home schooled? [ 3 Answers ]

Recently I have been having horrible times at school... I have been bullied and cannot take it anymore... everything seems to think wrong of me because I take so much time off because I get bullied and the ones asking are the ones who are talking about me! I have tried to commit suicide before...

View more questions Search