Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    frost110 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2007, 09:45 AM
    Rotted Subfloor and Tough Flange
    Hi,

Recently I bought a new townhome built in late 60's. The old subfloor (both layers) was bad and I have the subfloor cut completely out but now I am stuck in that I cannot remove the flange from the pipe, I know the pipe is copper and I believe it is 3". The reason I need to remove the flange is so I can put down a new 5/8" plywood for the subfloor.

What I am wondering is either:
    A. How do I remove the old Flange? (Brute force didn't work to well pissed the neighbors off)
    Or
    B. Can I put in the new subfloor by just making the circle as big as the old flange and putting maybe something like a flange extender (if that's a real item) ontop of the old flange for support.

Help is appreciated. Thanks everyone!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 1, 2007, 01:27 PM
    If the closet stub up is copper then the flange is made of brass and soldered on. I would go with plan"B" and get a flange extender,(see image).
    Good luck, Tom
    frost110 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2007, 01:31 PM
    Awesome, appreciate the input. That will probably be the way I will go with, that or cut the plywood in half at the drain and than put some 2x4's from joist to joist for support, but heck just buying the extender seems a ton less work!

--FrosT

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tough, Tough, Sport. Respect Is Due [ 2 Answers ]

This sport is very tough. I have always had much respect for triathletes. I would love to discuss the sport further with the athletes themselves.

Bathtub subfloor [ 4 Answers ]

I am making a subfloor for a new bathtub on a 2x4 frame, 16" center and 3/4" plywood decking. Should this be sufficient to support the tub, (~500 lbs. completely filled)? Thanks

Subfloor and my toilet [ 4 Answers ]

We are remodeling our 5x8 bathroom and extending it into an old mud room on the back of the house. Right now the toilet sits within the 5x8 space, but will be moved directly back into the 40" wide mudroom (about 3-4ft). I have easy access to all the piping from the basement which is unfinished...

How to repair a rotted roof rafter? [ 3 Answers ]

Can a damaged roof rafter be replaced without removing roof decking and shingles?

Rotted green board behind bathroom tiles [ 1 Answers ]

I began to repair some cracked grout in my shower stall and as I was raking it out, 4 tiles just pushed into the wall. The cracks had let in water and the green board behind it was wet and crumbled. Can I patch this with a new piece of green board or should I have a pro come in and rip out all of...

View more questions Search