Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kelseygarrett Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 12, 2011, 09:59 PM
    Tongue Piercing
    I really want a tongue piercing . But my mom is against it .
    Do you have any pros &'d cons that I can give to her as a little bit of, motivation ? Thanks .(:
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 12, 2011, 10:08 PM

The pros are all for the dentist. Chipped teeth, receding gum line, lost enamel, oral mucosal infection, etc.

They also look trashy.
    Expert

Aug 12, 2011, 10:36 PM

kelseygarrett does not find this helpful : Didn't give me an answer that was asked in my question .
    Actually my answer DID answer your question. You asked about the pros and cons. I told you about the only pro is for the dentist who is going to get your money fixing your teeth.

Those are the cold hard facts!

Sorry you didn't want to hear the truth!
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 12, 2011, 10:43 PM

I can't think of any advantages (pros) for you.

The cons are: It will chip your teeth and ruin your front ones, cause fillings to crack and break off, pretty much guarantee you will need dentures some day, cause you to pronounce words poorly so you sound like you have a bunch of stones in your mouth, will limit what you can eat and how you chew, and possibly cause a serious infection in your tongue, cause the gums to recede which can lead to more serious dental/oral complications, create allergies, and put you at risk for developing a fatal infection, such as Ludwig's angina or endocarditis.
    Expert

Aug 12, 2011, 10:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    I can't think of any advantages (pros) for you.

The cons are: It will chip your teeth and ruin your front ones, cause fillings to crack and break off, pretty much guarantee you will need dentures some day, cause you to pronounce words poorly so you sound like you have a bunch of stones in your mouth, will limit what you can eat and how you chew, and possibly cause a serious infection in your tongue, cause the gums to recede which can lead to more serious dental/oral complications, create allergies, and put you at risk for developing a fatal infection, such as Ludwig's angina or endocarditis.
    Well, that's NOT what the OP wanted to hear so watch out for your reddie! :rolleyes:
    ZoeMarie Posts: 2,049, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Aug 12, 2011, 10:47 PM

I know someone who had his tongue pierced and would accidentally bite down on the tongue ring when he would eat. That doesn't sound like fun to me. Maybe you should pierce something else. LOL. I'm a fan of piercings, and had actually considered piercing my tongue, but I'm over it now. It's overrated.
    ramona_ Posts: 222, Reputation: 47

Aug 13, 2011, 10:42 AM
    How old are you? Ask your mum the reasoning behind her decision to say no - it's probably going to be the regular "it looks disgusting", "it's only for one thing", "it damages teeth", etc. but there are ways around these. Tongue piercings can easily be hidden with bars/balls which are the same colour as your tongue and also bioflex/ptfe tongue bars are used to prevent damage to teeth and gums.

Why is there a rush to get it done at your age? I'm guessing you're in your teens/under 18 as you have to ask your mother for permission but if she says no, you should ask why, tell her the ways to get around any cons/consequences you may have to face such as you're school and jobs and if she still says no then I'm afraid it's a no. You live under her roof and if she doesn't want you to get it done then you don't get it done until you are paying your own way in life and are able to make independent life choices.

Also, I beg of you not to get it done behind her back if she says no - you will lose all trust and respect from her. You could end up getting it done in some back street piercing shop where they don't sterilize any of their materials and you could end up with any infection including hepatitis or HIV.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 13, 2011, 11:43 AM

First, you need to learn how to use this site properly. Not only did J_9 give you the answer you asked for, but it was an accurate answer. Giving a negative comment should ONLY be used for an incorrect or inaccurate response.

The fact is that her answer was not what you wanted to hear. What you really wanted was someone to help you convince your mum to allow you to mutilate your body. We are not going to do that! I see only one reason for a tongue piercing. And if you are underage, then you shouldn't be thinking that way.
    TheRandom Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 11, 2011, 01:33 PM
    How old are you? Ask your mum the reasoning behind her decision to say no - it's probably going to be the regular "it looks disgusting", "it's only for one thing", "it damages teeth", etc. But there are ways around these. Tongue piercings can easily be hidden with bars/balls which are the same colour as your tongue and also bioflex/ptfe tongue bars are used to prevent damage to teeth and gums.

Why is there a rush to get it done at your age? I'm guessing you're in your teens/under 18 as you have to ask your mother for permission but if she says no, you should ask why, tell her the ways to get around any cons/consequences you may have to face such as you're school and jobs and if she still says no then I'm afraid it's a no. You live under her roof and if she doesn't want you to get it done then you don't get it done until you are paying your own way in life and are able to make independent life choices.

Also, I beg of you not to get it done behind her back if she says no - you will lose all trust and respect from her. You could end up getting it done in some back street piercing shop where they don't sterilize any of their materials and you could end up with any infection including hepatitis or HIV.Actually.. Before I read this, my mom said actually the same. It's her rules, and I live under HER roof. I'm so sick and tired of talking with her about a toungepiercing. So I just.. Wait until I'm at least 17/18. Because I know that she would be mad if I'm taking a piercing atm. So.. In 2012, I will get my tongue pierced. Promise you, mom! Even though you will hate me.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tongue piercing, need answers, swollen tongue, don't know what to do, is this normal? [ 5 Answers ]

I got my tongue pierced 5 days ago, and its still really swollen, I can't talk properly, can't eat and its sooooo uncomfortable. There is also stuff that looks furry all over my tongue, I went back to my piercer and he said just to clean it with a soft bristle toothbrush, but it still comes back. I...

Tongue piercing rubber band from spacer stuck in tongue [ 3 Answers ]

6 years ago had my tongue pierced, no problems; about 3 months afterwards, I used a clear spacer w/clear small rubber band to keep it open---well, the piercing got extremely sore and when I went to take the spacer out, it seems that the clear rubber band either got stuck while taking the spacer...

Tongue piercing [ 3 Answers ]

I had my tongue pierced 6 days ago.. and I feel the tip of my tongue strange.. it feels as if I had already brushed my teeth.. you know.. this strange taste.. like when you have brushed your teeth and want to eat something it tastes strange.. and it also feels a bit strange.. is it a normal...

Tongue Piercing, white tongue, ulcer spot? [ 3 Answers ]

Pierced it 5 days ago. Situated in front of the pierced hole, there is what appears to be an 'ulcer' type looking spot. Can anyone shed some light for me please?:(

View more questions Search