Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tls618 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 12, 2011, 04:11 PM
    How to install tile base molding on diagonal tile floor?
    I have installed a diagonal ceramic tile floor in my bathroom. I want to know how to install the base,is there a pattern to installing? I have diagonal sheet rock walls in the bathroom, will this change my pattern too? Can I use the same tile as the floor or do I need to purchase bull nose tile?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 12, 2011, 04:25 PM
    Why on earth did you install sheetrock diagonally? You want as few joints in the stud spaces as possible, preferably none. How you orient the tiles has nothing to do with it.

Tiled walls meeting tiled floors do best when the bottom row is a base tile, although you don't have to. It just looks better and is easier to clean. You can even have diagonal meeting diagonal if you want, but I wouldn't.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Aug 12, 2011, 05:55 PM

I don't think the OP means the actual sheet rock is install diagonally but it is covered with tile that is diagonally installed.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 13, 2011, 09:58 AM

I'd like to see a picture.
    tls618 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 13, 2011, 04:03 PM
    Sorry I guess I did not clearify myself! The bathroom has walls that are framed on a diagonal. There is no tile on the walls, just on the floor. The pattern of the 12x12 tile on the floor is set on a diagonal also. Do I center the first 3x12 tile basemold on the wall and work out or do I start at the edge and work out?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Aug 14, 2011, 09:53 AM

Yes, I too would like to see a picture. This would not be given a permit in my area and I am wondering why anyone would ever frame anything diagonally.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Aug 15, 2011, 04:19 AM

TLS618...

Pictures would be great if you have the time, but to answer your question, " Do I center the first 3x12 tile basemold on the wall and work out or do I start at the edge and work out?"...

You start by centering the first 3"x12" base tile on the wall and work towards the left and right edges to finish each wall.

If you need to slide the centered tile left or right an inch or two to end up with full/larger tiles across the entire wall then do that for the best job. Otherwise, center the tile as mentioned and go from there.

A bull-nose tile makes a better finish if they are available, or you can purchase TILE TRIM EDGING (see image) and finish the tile edge that way.

Good luck!

Mark
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Floor corner tile on diagonal layout [ 11 Answers ]

I have 2 opposite corners that did not lay out the same as the other 2. I cannot figure out how to make the cuts other than having the cut edge of the triangle up against the field tile. Any help I can get would be appreciated. Thanks, Patty8735 8736

Toilet install on new raised tile floor [ 1 Answers ]

Just finished putting a new tile floor over the old one in our guest bathroom. Now is time for me to install the new toilet. The old toilet flange is still in place but now the height of the tile below the new floor level. I purchased a "flange extension" piece from HD but want to confirm I'm doing...

Styrene base over old tile floor? [ 2 Answers ]

I have an old tile shower that was leaking and was going to put a new enclosed styrene unit in instead. I'm kind of scared to start jackhammering to remove the old mortar base - won't I crack the drainpipe? Would it be OK (or wiser) to leave the old floor in place, build a platform above it,...

What to install UNDER ceramic floor tile [ 2 Answers ]

Ok, I've read about 100 different theories on what (if anything) you are supposed to put under ceramic floor tile (i.e. cement board, underlayment, etc.). We need to install our tile in the basement (which is currently just a concrete floor). If it matters, there are only a couple of VERY small...

Toilet Re-install on tile floor [ 2 Answers ]

I just finished tiling my bathroom floor. I purchased the extended wax ring to re-install my toilet and thought all would work well. However I have discovered that the closet bolts are not long enough! These are new bolts and are about 1/2 inch to short... any suggestions? Can I just buy...

View more questions Search