Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    derts Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 12, 2011, 01:47 PM
    Acquiring a German Passport
    Hello, Is there anyone who can answer whether I can acquire a german passport from having a grandmother on my mothers side being born in Germany? She has a German birth certificate, canadian passport. My mother doesn't have her german citizenship and my grandmother has forfeited her german citizenship through naturlization. My parents are no longer married but I'm still able to acquire my grandmother documents. If anyone has an answer it would save paying a lawyer for a quick yes or no answer. If you need more information to answer this please let me know.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Aug 12, 2011, 01:57 PM
    To distant a relative for a European citizenship, so no.
    derts Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 12, 2011, 02:18 PM

Would it make a difference if my mother was born before my grandmother became a canadian citizen.
    kcomissiong Posts: 1,166, Reputation: 276
    Ultra Member

Aug 13, 2011, 02:52 PM
    No. If your grandmother renounced German citizenship (and apparently she did if she is a naturalized canadian) then you are out of luck. Ven if your mother was born German, she is now Canadian, and unless you were born in Gernamy, you are out of luck.
    karloss Posts: 5, Reputation: 0

Sep 2, 2011, 07:12 PM
    Before 1975 only the father passed on German nationality to children. However if the child was born out of wedlock, the mother could pass it on.

So the only chance for yourself would be this:
    - If your grandmother and grandfather were not married when your mother was born.
    And
    - Your mother was born before your grandmother became naturalized
    And
    Either you were born out of wedlock OR you were born after 1975.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Acquiring a German passport [ 2 Answers ]

Wondering why you aren't answering questions that have been asked?? My question as others is can I get a german passport - both sets of my grandparents were born and lived in somewhere in germany. :)

Acquiring german passport through german grandparents? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi our Grandmother was born in Germany and moved to Canada in The 20's. Our mother was born here. Our grandfather was born in the United States but was of German decent. Can we get a German passport through our grandmother?

I was born in Germany to a German mother, do I qualify for a German passport? [ 2 Answers ]

I was born in Germany in 1991 on a German mother and a British father. I've lived in the UK since I was a couple months old and I am now 19, because we lived in the UK my mother didn't want things to get complicated with aplying for passports so she only let me have a British one instead of a...

Can I apply for a german passport when married to a german and living in south africa [ 0 Answers ]

Hi there, I'm South African and would like to know if I will be able to apply for a German passport after getting married to my fiancé which of cause is a German himself. We will however live in South Africa after getting married. Our marriage will also take place in South Africa.

Acquiring a French passport [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I am Canadian but my Grandmother has dual citizenship (French and Canadian). She lives 6 months in France and 6 months in Canada. I would like to start proceedings to acquire a French passport... if that is at all possible. Where do I begin? :confused: What do I need to make this a...

View more questions Search