Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    klattu Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 11, 2011, 08:29 AM
    401k loan to open a Roth IRA
    Idea, can I do this?
    Loan from my 401k, lets say $20,000
    No tax, no penalty... yes I must pay it back with interest to myself.
    What if I take this $20,000 and open a Roth IRA.
    Leave it there for the next 6 years...
    Could I then withdraw this $20,00 (hope it would be more by then)from the Roth IRA without tax or penalty?
    I would be 60 at this time.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Aug 12, 2011, 06:38 AM

Most companies have no restrictions on what you use your loan for, so yes this will work as long as you can pay the loan back within the required time frame (typically 3 years). Be aware that if you leave your job (for example if laid off) you are required to pay back the outstanding balance within 60 days or else the loan is redefined as a withdrawal, and you will owe both income tax and early withdrawal penalty on the balance of the loan. So whenever you take a loan there is a bit of a risk.
    klattu Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 12, 2011, 07:18 AM
    Yes... I understand the risk part.
    In the time it takes to repay, I would have $20,000 plus interest back in my original 401k, plus $20,000 in my new Roth IRA.
    Main goal is that I can withdraw this $20,000 without taxes or penalty.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Aug 12, 2011, 07:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by klattu View Post
    Main goal is that I can withdraw this $20,000 without taxes or penalty.
    Since you will be 60 at the time of withdrawal from the Roth IRA, and the account is greater than 5 years old at that time, there should be no penalty.

There is one catch however - you can only contribute $6K/year to a Roth IRA (it would be $5K if you were under 50 years old).

Why not simply contribute $6K/year to a Roth IRA and leave your 401(K) alone?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 12, 2011, 10:01 AM

Why do you assume your Roth will make so much extra money more than your IRA, not sure why you either don't merely put the extra money into the IRA or just Roth

After the cost of interest paid on the loan, it would take a serious eat at the profit from the IRA itself.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

J1 Visa holder can open an IRA/ROTH? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am in US on a J1 Visa. I come from Italy and I am eligible for the tax exemption treaty for 2 years. Can I open a roth or a IRA ? Thank you.

Can a 19 year old nanny open a roth IRA? [ 2 Answers ]

I'm 19 and in college. I spent the summer "being nanny" to my 4 month old nephew and working a few odd (cash only) jobs. Can I open a Roth IRA even though there's no paper trail? Is still "after tax" money when no taxes were taken out? Would I need to file taxes this year even though I'm a...

I have H1 visa, would like to open Roth IRA account [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I would like to open a Roth IRA account, but am new to this area. Where can I open this kind of account? Any recommendations?:confused: Thanks.

401k to Roth IRA [ 3 Answers ]

I am an italian citizen who worked in the US for 5 years on a H1-B visa. I will be going back to Italy for good at the end of March 2006 and I want to rollover my 401k to a Roth IRA (through a direct rollover IRA). The amount in the 401k is around $40,000. My income for 2005 was $49,000. If I...

View more questions Search