Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    xania Posts: 8, Reputation: 2

Aug 10, 2011, 08:17 PM
    Has the "no contact" rule worked for you with an ex?
    Did they start contacting you after a period you didn't? I'm wondering if this really makes an ex start trying to talk to you and want you back because they miss you. A lady I know who has five daughters told me that used to happen to her girls each time they experienced a breakup, and it seems to be part of a strategy all these Internet "love gurus" talk about.
    It seems effective, because if you don't get any "I miss you" type of calls, then at least you're well on your way to heal. I just want to know if it's actually helped someone re-start a relationship.

By the way, I'm 21, and he's 28. The breakup was rash and for reasons that can be easily fixed. I think the problem mainly lies with him, which is why I want to cool it for a month and avoid calling him or texting. He is scared of becoming too emotionally involved with someone, and has a hard time receiving love and affection. I'm his first real, normal relationship (just friends with benefits and infatuations well before me) and everything was great. There were a few little things, but there always are in relationships.
    ZoeMarie Posts: 2,049, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Aug 10, 2011, 08:37 PM

The reason for going no contact isn't just to get the person to talk to you. It's so you can take time for yourself and heal. It's the best way to get over a breakup. And probably, after trying it for a while, you'll realize that.
    I wish Posts: 5,296, Reputation: 2030
    Family & People Expert

Aug 10, 2011, 10:46 PM

Check out this stick: https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/relati...es-590267.html

There's an article on the meaning of no contact.

We're not 100% sure those are the exact reasons he broke up with you. There could be other reasons that he didn't mention. The point is he wanted to break up and he no longer wanted to try to fix the problems, regardless of what the problems are.

If you really want him back, you can tell him how you feel and see what he says. But if he really wanted you back or wanted to make the relationship work, he wouldn't have broken up, he would be next to you trying to fix things.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Aug 11, 2011, 01:55 PM
    QUOTE by xania;
    Did they start contacting you after a period you didn't? I'm wondering if this really makes an ex start trying to talk to you and want you back because they miss you.
    Sometimes it makes them talk to you, especially if they get bored, or want you in the friend zone, and with no commitment. Just an option for something to do until they find something more interesting, or promising.
    A lady I know who has five daughters told me that used to happen to her girls each time they experienced a breakup, and it seems to be part of a strategy all these Internet "love gurus" talk about.
    No Contact is to give you time to get your feelings under control after a break up. So you can make good decisions and choices for yourself, based on FACTS, and not just FEELINGS
    It seems effective, because if you don't get any "I miss you" type of calls, then at least you're well on your way to heal. I just want to know if it's actually helped someone re-start a relationship.
    I think you mean a cooling off period. Good for disagreements and arguments, but a break up is a big red flag that things are seriously disconnected, or a game of manipulation. Doesn't matter, because if a partner rather dump you than work with you, you can bet you don't need them.
    By the way, I'm 21, and he's 28. The breakup was rash and for reasons that can be easily fixed. I think the problem mainly lies with him, which is why I want to cool it for a month and avoid calling him or texting. He is scared of becoming too emotionally involved with someone, and has a hard time receiving love and affection. I'm his first real, normal relationship (just friends with benefits and infatuations well before me) and everything was great.
    By all means, leave him alone since he is the one who wanted a break up. he dumped you, so why should you chase him to work things out. If he changes his mind, then its up to you to make the choice to try again, or leave this alone. Your boy however may have other motives, and expect you to be a willing participant for what he is use too. he still may not what what you want though. You better show caution and protect yourself if he does come back. Sometimes strong feelings of attraction doesn't mean they have the same feelings as you, and your ex obviously does not. That may not change in a month, or two, or never. everything seemed great to you, but for whatever reason, not for him.
    There were a few little things, but there always are in relationships
    Yes there is. Its always something and in a relationship, there must be TWO partners who are willing to work to keep things together, no matter what life throws at you. You can get all the "tricks" schemes, and advice from people and so called gurus, but it always comes down to whether a couple can work together. Most times one wants out, and the other wants to hold on. That seldom works out well. I mean if most married couples can't stay together, whats a less committed couple going to do? Especially when one just wants out, the reasons don't matter.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 11, 2011, 03:12 PM

If you want the person back, you crawl and beg and plead.

If you want to grow, mature, learn from the experience and move on with your life, ( which means that most likely you find someone new)

No contact is not used to get them back, it is used to help get over them and not want them back.
    xania Posts: 8, Reputation: 2

Aug 15, 2011, 12:18 PM
    Thanks, everyone. I'm reading a book called How to Survive the Loss of Love and am feeling slightly better. For some reason, I can't access the stickies. I'm not sure what to do to view them.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Aug 15, 2011, 12:31 PM

Xania, click here and you will see the stickies on the relationship board.
    slapshot_oi Posts: 1,537, Reputation: 589
    Ultra Member

Aug 15, 2011, 02:35 PM

To answer your question directly... every time I didn't reach out to an ex, they would reach out to me. And one time, I did bite and we dated again, and soon broke-up again.

Just know that you can't possibly have a stable relationship if it's built on top of a ruse.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

No Contact Rule? Do I have hope? [ 12 Answers ]

I'll start by saying that this is my first post, and I sincerely appreciate any advice you may have. Two days before Halloween, my girlfriend of nearly four years told me that she needs a break. She said she was feeling smothered and needed time and space for herself. She said that she hadn't...

What to do AFTER no contact rule [ 58 Answers ]

Hey all, So my g/f broke up with me after 3 yrs due to lost of passion and being too dependent on each other, and things getting routine by spending almost every day together. I got the dreaded "need space", "independence", and "can we stay friends".I learned quickly that being friends after a...

No Contact Rule. [ 49 Answers ]

Here is something I have found about the no contact rule. I hope it helps others as much as me. So, you’ve had your heart broken, probably begged and tried to convince your ex to get back together with you and failed. Realising that staying in contact is causing you more pain than you can...

No contact rule [ 3 Answers ]

My girlfriend dumped me because I would not have sex. I see her at school and I am trying the no contact rule for a month. But school is over in a few days and I need my stuff back. She has a belt with my last name on it. How do I get it back without breaking the rule?

View more questions Search