The Price You Pay For Staying Away
    Your Expert status at Ask Me Help Desk

Hide Details
    Ask Me Help Desk

TO:
    [email protected]
    Message flagged Wednesday, August 10, 2011 5:03 AMMessage body
    Hi martinizing2,

We have noticed that you are no longer among the top experts in Fish. Unfortunately, we have to revoke your expert status.

If you have any questions or concerns, please reply to this email and we will get back to you as soon as possible.

Thanks,

The Ask Me Help Desk Team

Due to an extremely overloaded schedule recently (and unfortunately continuing for the next couple of months) I will have little time or opportunity to get to the AMHD.

This is stressful enough in itself but to then find I am losing expert status here on "Fish" is staggering.
    Even though I cannot remember answering any questions about fish and was unaware I was a fish "expert", it just makes it all the worse because the glory was so short lived and at this stage of my life I could use all I can get.

It makes me wonder what other indignities I may be subject to in the future because of not being able to spend the time I normally do at AMHD which is usually one of my priorities and highlights of the day.
    But the selfish habits I have been slave to for so many years , like food , shelter, basic transportation, and maybe some health care, have required my time to be redistributed in a manner I find most displeasing but essential at this point.

So with even a heart made heavier by the loss I discovered today, here , I will say that I will be missing the friends I have here along with the interaction we share with the folks we are trying to help.

Seriously, I do miss being here and hope I can finish my obligations and be back regularly by September.
    Of course I will be by as often as time allows to nurture my addiction to the place and futilely try to "keep up on things" going on here.

For Now Adieu Y'all
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Aug 10, 2011, 05:20 PM

Take care guy. Sounds like life has you busy and that's a good thing. When you get back who knows what you will be expert of ;)

See you round...
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Aug 18, 2011, 05:12 AM
    Martin, I love you! You make me laugh! I almost spit coffee all over my paper work that I am supposed to be reading ;)

Take care while you are away friend. See you on the other side.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Aug 18, 2011, 05:15 AM
    Real life is always more important than a website.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Aug 18, 2011, 06:49 AM
    Damn distractions from the important things like a job... family... life...
    Dogs Expert

Aug 18, 2011, 06:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    Real life is always more important than a website.
    You mean... this isn't real life? :p
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Aug 18, 2011, 07:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurora_Bell View Post
    You mean.....this isn't real life?? :p
    Nope. :) Virtual life.
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Aug 18, 2011, 07:07 AM
    Martin, I look forward to your return when you can find time for us. :)
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 18, 2011, 10:46 AM
    Take your time to learn something about fish, or fishing or learn about things that are fishy.
    spitvenom Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 373
    Ultra Member

Aug 23, 2011, 01:51 PM
    It's funny I spend more time on AMHD at work then anywhere else. And I am busy as hell at work.
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Aug 29, 2011, 11:07 AM
    Martin... when you get back after you have studied some, I'm having a small problem with one of my Pond Fish :D
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Aug 29, 2011, 12:28 PM
    Martin, they're trying out a new thing, experts chosen by algorithm. Those experts are only experts in a certain area, they don't have the green status that shows all over the board. They're chosen by a computer, and sadly, if they don't post daily, that status is lost. Sounds like this is what's going on.

We used to nominate experts, and if they were found worthy, they were given expert status (the green title seen all over the site). We were told that that was no longer an option.

I know for a fact that your name has come up in past nominations, but it's now no longer in our hands, it's in the hands of a computer, and apparently the computer thinks you're a fish expert, even though you yourself have stated you aren't. Aren't computers fun? ;)

Please don't let this discourage you. We are doing our best to make the powers that be see that human beings are better then computers when deciphering expertise. You have so very much to offer to AMHD. I know that when you find the time that you'll return. Until then, real life is always more important than anything on the internet. Enjoy the real things you're doing, and don't let this place or any status you may have here, get in the way.

You're an expert to all of us, title or no title. I've always said, a title is just that. It means nothing. We're all experts in something, and we all have something to offer.

I hope my post came out the way I want it to. I hate the written word, I never can accurately convey how I feel. :(

Hugs Martin. We'll be here when you get back. :)

Now, about my Goldfish. Seriously, how long will that bugger live? ;)
    martinizing2 Posts: 1,868, Reputation: 819
    Expert

Aug 30, 2011, 11:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg View Post
    Martin, they're trying out a new thing, experts chosen by algorithm. Those experts are only experts in a certain area, they don't have the green status that shows all over the board. They're chosen by a computer, and sadly, if they don't post daily, that status is lost. Sounds like this is what's going on.

We used to nominate experts, and if they were found worthy, they were given expert status (the green title seen all over the site). We were told that that was no longer an option.

I know for a fact that your name has come up in past nominations, but it's now no longer in our hands, it's in the hands of a computer, and apparently the computer thinks you're a fish expert, even though you yourself have stated you aren't. Aren't computers fun? ;)

Please don't let this discourage you. We are doing our best to make the powers that be see that human beings are better then computers when deciphering expertise. You have so very much to offer to AMHD. I know that when you find the time that you'll return. Until then, real life is always more important than anything on the internet. Enjoy the real things you're doing, and don't let this place or any status you may have here, get in the way.

You're an expert to all of us, title or no title. I've always said, a title is just that. It means nothing. We're all experts in something, and we all have something to offer.

I hope my post came out the way I want it to. I hate the written word, I never can accurately convey how I feel. :(

Hugs Martin. We'll be here when you get back. :)

Now, about my Goldfish. Seriously, how long will that bugger live? ;)

If I answer your question about your goldfish I may get that expert status back, so... It will live until death. At which point it is dead.

Thanks everybody for the input,. I found the fish references especially endearing.

And my dear Alty, thank you for your kind words , all the references to expert status were done strictly as an attempt at humor and have nothing at all to do with my absence here . :D
    Strictly a logistics and time problem. This is my first shot at "free time" for weeks and this is my first stop.

I know you do not use the Go skin and things look different there , here are a couple of examples

This is off My Dashboard under Topics

Name:  ScreenHunter_02 Aug. 30 11.22.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  82.6 KB

This is the display off Go

Name:  ScreenHunter_03 Aug. 30 11.26.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  96.7 KB

If anyone isn't using Go at all it may be worth popping over to see what topics you have become expert on maybe without knowing.

Again thanks everybody for the input , this is too great a bunch of people to have stay away too long so I isn't going to.

Out of time Peace.
    Dogs Expert

Aug 30, 2011, 11:19 AM
    Glad your back even if was short lived Martin! Wow, you really are an expert aren't you!? :D
    spitvenom Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 373
    Ultra Member

Aug 30, 2011, 11:49 AM
    I just tried the new version and in my profile it has a little gold metal that says Jetsetter. I like that!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Does Retired US citizen staying in India less than 180 days have to pay Indian Income [ 1 Answers ]

I am retired usa citizen. I came to india every year for last ten years. But my total aggregate stay had never been more that 180 days a year. I have some nre and nro accounts and some year fixed deposits earning interests. Banks deduct tds from that. I pay income tax in usa for these interest...

I have R1 visa last four year I am staying in USA. Still I did not pay any tax to Gov [ 1 Answers ]

I have R1 visa last four year I am staying in USA. Still I did not pay any tax to Government.

Do I have to pay City of NY Resident tax since I am staying in Brooklyn, NY -11219 [ 9 Answers ]

Dear Sir/Madam, I am staying in Brooklyn, NY -11219 since July,2005. Do I have to pay "CITY OF NY RESIDENT TAX". Please let me know this will help me to save 3.5K towards city of NY resident tax. I will appreciate your help. Regards, Srinivas.

We all make mistakes, and we all pay a price for it. [ 9 Answers ]

We all make mistakes, and we all pay a price for it.

What price to pay for business [ 2 Answers ]

undefined I am purchasing a new age bookstore. And our only problem is coming up with a fair price. The business as of now takes in under 40,000 a year profit. We came to price of 100,000, 35000 inventory, 5000 fixtures and furniture. 60,000 goodwill. Is that a fair price? Also we have...

View more questions Search