Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    imsurroundedbyfish Posts: 101, Reputation: 10

Aug 10, 2011, 04:10 AM
    Should I learn British or American Sign Language?
    Last week I went away on camp, and spent a lot of time with some fluent signers. I was inspired to learn sign language.

When I came back home, and started looking into it a bit more, I realised there were two types of sign language, ASL and BSL (american sign language and british sign language). I don't know which one I should learn.

BSL would probably be of more use to me because I live in England, however it seems to be harder to get hold of resources to help me learn.

From what I have seen, ASL looks easier, both from an ease-of-learning perspective and from an ease-of-resource-access perspective. But I have noticed that most ASL is aimed at parents teaching young babies to sign so that they can communicate before they can talk.

So which would be better for me to learn? I don't know much about sign language!

Thanks in advance x
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 10, 2011, 04:27 AM
    ASL is aimed at parents for babies? I'm not sure where that idea comes from? I would learn ASL to start and then find the resources to learn BSL too. They can't be that hard to find, and you should have practice with real people if you can.
    imsurroundedbyfish Posts: 101, Reputation: 10

Aug 10, 2011, 07:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    ASL is aimed at parents for babies? I'm not sure where that idea comes from?
    Sorry I wasn't very clear about that, I meant the only resources I could find were for parents teaching babies
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Aug 10, 2011, 07:23 AM
    Just to slightly confuse things there's also Makaton, as used by Justin in Something Special.

About Makaton
    This is more straightforward than the more formal sign languages and better for youngsters.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Can I gain american citizenship if one parent has British and American Passports? [ 1 Answers ]

Can I gain American citizenship if one parent has British and American Passports? I am a British Citizen and in my early twenties, am I able to still gain dual citizenship? My mother was born in America although she lives in the Uk. I also have an English cousin who married an American in the last...

Which language to learn next? [ 2 Answers ]

Just curious about some others opinions here. I'm currently a Computer Science student looking to go into programming professionally. To be honest, I don't know exactly what I want to do with it. Game design and programming has always been especially fun but I haven't decided. I've recently been...

Need to learn a new language. [ 11 Answers ]

Need to learn a new language... preferably Danish or Irish... I just think it will do 2 things in particular for me... 1) Well, ill have a new language to speak and write, I mean, how isn't that cool? Lol... 2) it will help me get my mind off less pleasing topics of my day... Any...

How to learn a language [ 4 Answers ]

Does anyone have a good method for learning languages English to Portuguese?

American Sign Language [ 2 Answers ]

Hello.. I am a fairly fluent signer and I love when I have the chance to sign with people. Unfortunately I moved away from my home town where I left behind all my friends who could sign and my deaf friends. I still sign to myself sometimes and catch myself signing along to songs... but I...

View more questions Search