Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    howard21 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 9, 2011, 05:08 PM
    Took two different ancestry tests and they have two different numbers. Why?
    Hi my name is a. howard. I have just taken two ancestry tests? Both of the test show that I am nativeamerican and black, but ddc(dna diagnostic test center) show 79% black and 21% native american. And genelex shows 84% and 16% native american. This is where I am confused. Why do they have two different numbers? Why?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Aug 9, 2011, 06:08 PM

All of the tests they give like that have a varience to them. A plus / minus. Its not as exact as one might think. But they both agree that you have a majority of one type of identifier over another.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 9, 2011, 06:46 PM
    That's very close in the DNA business. Think about it: you have thousands of ancestors, just the direct lineages, never mind all the other ones. And second, there isn't a single gene for black skin, it's a whole bunch of attributes that may go back to Africa recently or very long ago while blending along the way, and then whatever makes up native American. Native Americans descend mostly from the people who came across from Siberia to Alaska when the last ice age lowered the seas several hundred feet, but there is more and more evidence that other people in small groups came from many other parts of the world too.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 10, 2011, 07:17 AM
    To add a little history: our DNA goes back ~70,000 years because most of us alive before that were wiped out then, probably from an enormous caldera (flat kind of volcano). We were in Africa, and if a few had left before then and survived, they were watered down in the DNA record. We were all black, and started migrating towards the east, across to Australia (also a dry land bridge) and China. Europe was settled later because of 2 mile high ice covering it. We moved along shore routes and got to Alaska about 16,500 years ago. By then all the variations in skin color had happened. There's possibly small amounts of mingling of DNA from white Europeans/Vikings etc, Asian mingling from Japan and Polynesia, and other stories (Some Cherokees claim to be descended from a small expedition of Jews). It's a new area of study, relatively, so there is new knowledge all the time.

DNA testing isn't a cut and dry count of genetic markers. It's a comparison of everyone's DNA against each other's. So as the world has more and more testing done, we will be able to tell more and more about who is from where. It's like a jigsaw puzzle with a billion pieces and no picture to use, just the picture you see as you put it together.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Portuguese Ancestry ? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am trying to find out about Portuguese passports and ancestry visa. My boyfriend and I are south African citizens, his grandfather was a Portuguese citizen and his father, though born in Mozambique lived in Portugal till he was 14. I am trying to find out if there is some sort of ancestry...

Ancestry of Bartges [ 4 Answers ]

Does anybody know the family ancestry of the last name Bartges from West Virginia and Pennsylvania? I'm stuck and I need help

Free Ancestry Sites? [ 2 Answers ]

I love the idea of ancestry.com, but I can't pay for anything like that right now. Are there any similar sites that I can access for free?

Discovering my ancestry [ 3 Answers ]

My great grandmother was adopted back in 1909 in Nebraska. It was a closed adoption and she spent her whole life trying to find out who her birth parents were, but the people she talked to told her that there was enough money to keep the records sealed forever. It's been 100 years now and my...

My ancestry. [ 2 Answers ]

I've been told I am a direct descendant of Christopher Jones, captain of the Mayflower. If I can trace this and prove this to be true, then I am eligible for a scholarship. Otherwise, I cannot afford college. Im only a freshman in high school right now, but I need to be prepared for my future. My...

View more questions Search