Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    santiesteban7 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 9, 2011, 02:47 PM
    Do food stamp benefits affect immigration procedures?
    Hi. I am a US citizen living in California. My hours at work were cut down to 12 and I am having difficulty making ends meet. I wanted to apply for food stamp benefits but I am afraid that it will affect my mother's immigration procedure. If I apply for food stamp benefits will my mother still be able to apply for permanent resident status? Thanks.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 9, 2011, 02:50 PM

I don't understand how you think there is a connection. There should be no problem.
    NYcityboy Posts: 785, Reputation: 65

Aug 9, 2011, 05:39 PM

The food stamps are for you, so that doesn't matter; but the underlying issue is that you are no longer able to show the 125% poverty guideline income for the I-864. You will need a joint sponsor.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bcd affect ssi benefits [ 1 Answers ]

I received a honorable discharge for the firist 4 years in the navy 65-69 several months after dicharge reenlisted and got a bcd for going awol. A mistake I have regreted since and also ashamed. My question is does this affect my ssi when its time to file and do iI have to tell ssi and provide my...

Filing procedures with immigration [ 3 Answers ]

My fiancé lives in Jamaica and is a b1 visa holder.I need to know if it would expedite matters to marry him in Jamaica then file the appropriate paper work or could we get married here and he returns to Jamaican while the paperwork is ongoing Also I am only a permanent green card holder who will...

Does divorce affect immigration status? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello! I became a PR of Canada a month ago, my husband sposored me. Now we want to divorce. Will this dovorce affect my PR status. We live in Toronto, Canada. Thanks

View more questions Search